Being Peace by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Being Peace (1987)

by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Reading Thich Nhat Hanh is like being in a slow moving meditation in the warm sun. He has so much wisdom, which he is able to share with the reader so gently that it seems to float into your brain. I know I will come back to this book again. Lovely, lovely, lovely. ( )
  krazy4katz | Jan 18, 2015 |
Thich Nhat Hanh’s message of creating peace and a better world by starting with oneself. It’s a simple message which seems obvious and the book is a quick read, but it’s much harder to put into practice and live.

Nhat Hahn says to practice breathing and smiling – meditate - and you can be calm, peaceful, and happy. Take care of and be compassionate to oneself first, in order to then take care of and be compassionate to others. Change your views on what is pleasant and unpleasant, and live in this moment. Be open-minded to all perspectives, including those of your perceived enemy. (Written in 1987, this last one includes references to understanding the USSR perspective in addition to America’s, and both the white and black ‘sides’ in South Africa, but of course examples abound in any age).

It’s interesting to compare these 14 precepts outlined in the chapter on “Interbeing”, which I trim down for brevity’s sake, to the Ten Commandments; you tell me which ones are better words to live by:

1. Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology; they are just guide, not absolute truths.
2. Avoid being narrow-minded; be ready to learn throughout your entire life.
3. Do not force others to take your views.
4. Confront suffering in the world; do not avoid it.
5. Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry; live simply and share with others.
6. Learn to look at others with deep compassion, including those who cause anger and hatred.
7. Practice breathing and mindfulness.
8. Do not utter words that create discord; make efforts to resolve conflicts.
9. Always speak truthfully and constructively.
10. Do not use the Buddhist community for personal gain or profit.
11. Do not live with a vocation that is harmful to humans and nature.
12. Do not kill, and do not let others kill.
13. Do not steal; respect the property of others.
14. Handle your body with respect, and do not use it as an instrument.

There are portions of the text that are a little on the simple side, and at times it’s a bit ‘too much’, e.g. “Even if I just clap my hands, the effect is everywhere, even in far away galaxies.”

I’m also of mixed mind in the example of forgiveness to sea pirates who raped a 12-year old girl, a boat person, which was followed by her jumping into the ocean to drown herself. Perhaps this is true enlightenment, to conceive of the life of the sea pirate in a meditation, to imagine growing up in his world and to be him, and to therefore to not condemn him; on the other hand, perhaps it’s lunacy. Is there any limit to forgiveness? Torture, sadism, cruelty, genocide? Hitler? But Nhat Hahn’s point is well put in his poem Please Call Me By My True Names; he believes himself to be a part of all things, and to be one with all people, including the girl and the pirate. Rather than condemn and hate in response, it’s more helpful to understand how it came about, and to forgive.

On meditation, this is a good one while doing MBSR-based breathing exercises:
“Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment
I know this is a wonderful moment.”

On knowledge, reminding me of the Zen saying, ‘cease to cherish your opinions’:
“In Buddhism, knowledge is regarded as an obstacle to understanding, like a block of ice that obstructs water from flowing. It is said that if we take one thing to be the truth and cling to it, even if truth itself comes in person and knocks at our door, we won’t open it. For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.”

On peace, though to me they seem different types of peace, and both valid:
“It is not by going out for a demonstration against nuclear missiles that we can bring about peace. It is with our capacity of smiling, breathing, and being peace that we can make peace.”

On sex:
“Sexual expression should not happen without love and commitment. In sexual relationships be aware of future suffering that may be caused.” ( )
1 vote gbill | Dec 2, 2012 |
Thich Nhat Hahn is a treasure to this planet. He is a true conduit for the holy wisdom of the Buddha. His style is plain and easy to understand, but the concepts are deep and ground-shaking. ( )
  faithful_scientist | Aug 14, 2008 |
Anything by Thic Nhat Hanh is well worth reading, particularly if you are interested in the contemplative life. This book is no exception. ( )
  johnthefireman | Mar 26, 2007 |
Excellent book - used by Dr. Miller in Philosophy of Death course at Millersville U ( )
  lmmayo | Mar 2, 2007 |

Thích Nhất Hạnhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kornfield, JackIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"If we are peaceful, if we are happy,
we can blossom like a flower,
and everyone in our family,
our entire society,
will benefit from our peace."
Life is filled with suffering, but it is also filled with many wonders, like the blue sky, the sunshine, the eyes of a baby. To suffer is not enough. We must also be in touch with the wonders of life. They are written all around us, everywhere, any time.

Since its publication in 1987, Being Peace has become a classic of contemporary religious literature. In his simple and readable style, Thich Nhat Hanh shows how our state of mind and body can make the world a peaceful place. We learn to transform the very situations that pressure and antagonize us into opportunities for practicing mindfulness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

Collection of talks given during visit to U.S. in fall of 1985.

73 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible