Writing in an Age of Silence by Sara…

Writing in an Age of Silence (edition 2007)

by Sara Paretsky

"In Writing in An Age of Silence, Sara Paretsky explores the traditions of political and literary dissent that have formed her life and work, against the unparalleled repression of free speech and thought in the USA today." "In tracing the writer's difficult journey from silence to speech, Paretsky turns to her childhood and youth in rural Kansas, and evokes Chicago - the city with which she has become indelibly associated - from her arrival during the civil-rights struggle in the mid-1960s to her literary creation, the south-side detective V I Warshawski. Paretsky traces the emergence of V I Warshawski from the shadows of the loner detectives that stalk the mean streets of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler's novels, and in the process explores American individualism, the failure of the American dream and the resulting dystopia." "Both memoir and meditation, Writing in an Age of Silence is an exploration of the writer's art and daunting responsibility in the face of the assault on US civil liberties post-9/11."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
Member:AlexDraven
Title:Writing in an Age of Silence
Authors:Sara Paretsky
Info:Verso (2007), Hardcover, 138 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:writing about writing, power of story, politics, identity

Writing in an Age of Silence by Sara Paretsky

Paretsky writes with keen insight and deep passion about all the forces that silence women. The forces come from social pressure to "be a good girl" to sit down, shut up. They come from political machinery that doesn't allow women to vote, or buy property, or be heard in court. These forces come from cultures that treat women as slaves, as chattel, or as less than worthy to speak up in a man's world. Certain religions treat women as disposable commodities to be bartered over or discarded at will. Despite these crushing forces, women continue to be heard, in part, because of women writers who refuse to be silenced. This powerful book explores these issues and encourages women to press on and fight the good fight.
Paretsky walks the walk through her strong female protagonists and by her own example. This is an excellent book for women writers, especially young writers, to encourage them to find their voice and to use it. ( )
  JoniMFisher | Sep 19, 2019 |
a collection of Paretsky's essays, some expanded, most having to do with her involvement in and growth through the women's movement, in her own words 'the second wave'. She's a few years older than I am, and most of what she says in unfortunately still being discussed. I think that having very supportive parents were one reason I didn't get involved much in the formal components of the women's movement, also that my personality is cautious about involvement in causes. With her family of decidedly non-supportive people, it was probably her lifeline to a successful life. Interesting if a little too polemical for me at times. ( )
  ffortsa | Mar 7, 2016 |
This is the life story of a remarkable woman,Sara Paretsky.It is also a description of how she constructs and writes her books and including a large dash of social comment. It is overall a most interesting book and will fascinate anyone who has read her books.
It begins with these words - 'One of my favourite books is Caught in the Web of Words, Elizabeth Murray's loving memoir of her grandfather, James A.H.Murray,who creator the Oxford English Dictionary. I'd like to steal her title for a memoir of my own life. ( )
  devenish | Mar 11, 2010 |
Essays on Paretsky's life and her take on feminism and politics.
  bfister | Nov 1, 2009 |
another chicago treasure (an immigrant like most who live there) .. who embraced the need and the magic and the wonder of the people and their stories ... sometimes as a social activist .. sometimes as a crime novelist .. sometimes as a memoirist .... always as a fascinating writing voice. this memoir tells part of her story, in that particular voice.
  msteketee | Aug 17, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,165,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible