Haunting Rachel by Kay Hooper

by Kay Hooper

419525,318 (3.26)4

Wow! ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
There are multiple quotes by other favorite authors on the cover of this book. Each quote is a high recommendation and one almost wonders if you are promised too much...
Not to worry. Read each quote carefully and then be sure you have some uninterrupted time available as Kay Hooper leads you on a page-turning journey of mystery, suspense, romance, and thrilling action as she reveals each character's secrets. Let your journey begin...and enjoy! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
I am a huge fan of Kay Hooper and I will read anything she's written. When I saw Haunting Rachel in the store, I knew it was one that I hadn't read yet, so I picked it up.

Rachel Grant is young and in love. At nineteen years old, she is engaged to Thomas Sheridan, the dashing older brother of her best friend, Mercy. Thomas is about 10 years older than Rachel and works as a pilot transporting cargo. When Thomas mysteriously disappears somewhere in South America and is believed to be dead, Rachel's world comes crashing down. She leaves her home in Richmond, VA to attend school in New York and only returns for rare visits, not wanting to confront the pain of her past.

She's able to stay away for 10 years, until her parents are killed in a plane crash and Rachel has to return to Richmond to settle the estate. When a mysterious stranger named Adam Delafield shows up, looking almost exactly like her dead fiance and claiming he owed her father 3 million dollars, Rachel is shaken. To top it all off, someone is out to kill her and she is rushing to figure out why.

I really enjoyed Haunting Rachel. Rachel could be a little too indecisive at times, but overall I enjoyed the character. I loved Ms. Hooper's use of dreams throughout the story. They reflect the little threads of the paranormal that she so often weaves throughout her stories. This was a good read with a fun cast of characters. ( )
  Aleusae | May 27, 2012 |
Ten years ago Rachel Grant's fiancé, Thomas, disappeared. His body was never found. Now there's a stranger in town, a man who could be Thomas's twin-or his ghost.

His name is Adam Delafield. He's been watching Rachel for days. He has the locket she gave Thomas before he vanished. And he says he owed her father three million dollars. But there's no record of the loan-or a shred of proof that Adam is who he claims to be. And he's always nearby as accidents begin to threaten Rachel's life. Is he an innocent man who only wants to repay a debt? Or a figure from the past with a score to settle? Rachel must expose lies and unravel stories, find out who wants her dead and why...before the next attempt to kill her succeeds.

This book should have had everything going for it, a romantic thriller with a hint of the supernatural. It was infact quite slow going with not much happening and very predictable. It had taken me too long to plough through it as I had had a busy week and hadn’t done as much reading as I normally do.

I was disappointed with this book as I was really looking forward to it as this type of book is normally right up my street. I think what let it down it was very sugary and turned to be more romance than thriller as much didn’t happen. The supernatural element didn’t happen either so that was a let down too.

Would I recommend this book: Not really but we are all different. ( )
  tina1969 | Feb 5, 2011 |
Rachel is the daughter of a successful investment banker that is trying to deal with the sudden death of her parents in a plane accident. She had already buried her heart 10 years ago when her boyfriend lost his life in a plane accident. Then a man who looks and sounds a lot like her dead boyfriend walks into her life to help her "sort" through her dad's papers, but has his own motives to put someone behind bars and win Rachel's heart. ( )
  bookworm00 | Jun 5, 2009 |
"It won't take long" said Thomas reassuringly "a week maybe a bit more then I'll be back".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553571834, Mass Market Paperback)

The beautiful Rachel Grant put her heart and memories in cold storage following the disappearance of her fiancé. Her parents' sudden death 10 years later forces her to return home to settle their estate, but she finds that more awaits her than selling off furniture and signing papers. Dealing with her past is made more complicated by the appearance of the mysterious Adam Delafield. He claims to owe the estate several million dollars, but there is no mention of him or of such a large transaction in her father's papers. That would be odd enough, but Delafield is also the spitting image of Rachel's missing fiancé, long presumed dead. Rachel is naturally troubled by his looks, and further bothered by a series of accidents that are too close for comfort. Then suddenly, even her father's business associates and old friends seem to have something to hide.

Fantastic coincidences are central in Kay Hooper's previous--and most popular--novels After Caroline and Amanda. She has put her skills to good use in Haunting Rachel, despite a sometimes awkward style. Dreams, doppelgängers, and dark dealings do make for delightful reading and Hooper seems to have found her niche with this brand of romantic thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:16 -0400)

Ten years ago, Rachel Grant's fiance, Thomas, disappeared. His body was never found. Now there's a stranger in town, a man who could be Thomas's twin - or his ghost. His name is Adam Delafield. He's been watching Rachel for days. He has the locket she gave Thomas before he vanished. And he says he owed her father three million dollars. But there's no record of the loan, or a shred of proof that Adam is who he claims to be.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible