The Real Story of Stone Soup by Ying Chang…

The Real Story of Stone Soup

by Ying Chang Compestine

When the Chang brothers and the narrator stop fishing for lunch and realize they forgot the cooking pot. The youngest, Kuai, instead digs a hole and proceeds to instruct his companions on how to make stone soup.
Magic in the stones, number 3 used with the three brothers.
Medium: watercolor
  klum15 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The Real Story of Stone Soup by Ying Chang Compestine is a cute retelling of the traditional story of stone soup. I loved the illustrations in this book - beautifully painted water color pictures. I also liked the humor in the book. The illustrations depicted a different story than the words, allowing the readers to make their own inferences about what was actually happening. This is a good example of irony in the story. I loved that at the end of the book there is a recipe for how to make stone soup. A good way to incorporate this story in the class room would be to make stone soup as a class. ( )
  calleenemiller | Nov 5, 2016 |
Summary:
A stingy fisherman always makes his three young helpers do all his work. One day he gets on to the boys for forgetting to provide lunch. They told him not to worry because they could make stone soup. The boys dug a hole and filled it with water and "flavored" stones. They tricked the fisherman into making bowls and chopsticks, and fetching salt and sesame oil. While he's busy, they stir in bird eggs, add wild vegetables, and slip fish into the soup. By the time the old man returns, they have enough food to feed a king.

Personal Reaction:
I only read this book a few years ago when my cousin asked me to read it to him. I found it very enjoyable and love how the tale is that this is how Egg Drop Soup came about.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) Have the students help the teameacher and see if they could make their own stone soup. ( )
  Jasmine.Afable | Sep 19, 2016 |
Summary
this books is a book about a stingy fisherman who always makes his 3 helpers do all the work. One day they forget to make lunch and the stingy fisherman is mad, they tell him don't worry they will make stone soup. They put tasty stones in the soup and keep they stingy fisherman busy with bowls and chopsticks and sesame oil and other things and while he is busy they add bird eggs, vegetables, and fish to the soup by the time the fisherman returns there is a feast.

Personal Reaction
Although not a fan of the language used in this story. I love how the stingy fisherman does all the work while thinking his 3 workers are working hard. I love how the trickery in book is portrayed through the illustrations. I also loved how this book did help us to talk about name calling, bullying and feelings.

Classroom Extension
I would have the children make there own stone soup. Using good and bad words. They will have 2 pans and different words on pieces of paper and they have to decide if they want it in the good stone soup or the bad stone soup and we will talk about which soup they would rather have. We will talk about how words and the things they do can hurt people.
  billiemarie77 | Sep 18, 2016 |
Summary: This book is about a fisherman who never does anything he has three young boys that help him. One day the boys forgot to bring lunch for them all and the fisherman got upset and made them make something. So the three young boys get different stones and seasonings and make soup. The soup is now call Egg Drop Soup which they have in China.

Personal Reaction: I thought the fisherman was quite rude and mean to the boys. Though it is a really good book. On the plus side my family loves Egg Drop Soup!

Classroom Extensions:

1. The teacher could make egg drop soup with the children and have them eat it.

2. The teacher also can teach the children a lesson about everyone helping and not expecting just certain people to work. ( )
  kimberlywatts94 | Mar 23, 2016 |

A stingy fisherman always makes his three young helpers do all his work. One day he scolds the “lazy boys” for forgetting to provide lunch. “Don’t worry,” they say. “We can make stone soup.” The boys dig a hole and fill it with water and “flavored” stones. They trick the fisherman into making bowls and chopsticks, and fetching salt and sesame oil. While he’s busy, they stir in bird eggs, add wild vegetables, and slip fish into the soup. By the time the old man returns, they have a feast fit for a king. To this day, “Egg Drop Stone Soup” is a traditional dish in southeast China. A recipe is included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:58 -0400)

When a crew of Chinese fishermen forget to bring cooking utensils with them, they find creative ways to make do with what they have and what they can find.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,744,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible