Every Secret Thing by Susanna Kearsley

Every Secret Thing (2006)

by Susanna Kearsley

English (12)  German (1)  All (13)
enjoyed this well but it wasn't meaty emough. too many coincidental meetings leading to Mish mash predictable happenings that felt too forced. and for all the death in the book, there wasn't enough chase em down or suspense. they nearly all are shared after the fact and without alot of suspense. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Every Secret Thing is a combination of a historical fiction and a modern day mystery novel. However, the pacing was to slow for a true mystery or thriller. I also thought the author spent too much telling and not enough showing. One character had a very long monologue with information that I thought could be handled better by putting the events in the action.

I had trouble keeping the characters straight but that happens to me sometimes when I listen to a mystery or thriller on audio. The print version may have helped me because I could have flipped back and forth.

I liked the love story between Deacon and Kate’s grandmother more than the murder plot line. I would have liked a romance novel just about the two of them. Deacon is a great character. I thought it was neat that the book The Language of Flowers played a part in it, since I have read The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

The narrator for Every Secret Thing, Katherine Kellgren, did a good job of having a different voice for every character. Even though she was a female, she was able to do realistic male voices. I liked the choice of using a different voice for Kate’s internal narrative and her dialogue. The narrator also brought excitement to the book in the dramatic way she read the exciting or surprising parts of the book.

This book has tons of five star reviews on Amazon so I am clearly in the minority of not loving it. If you like historical fiction about the intrigue associated with WWII, then you may very well enjoy this book. ( )
  mcelhra | Feb 27, 2017 |
Kate Murray is a successful Canadian journalist covering a murder trial in London when an old man strikes up a coversation with her and cryptically informs her of another murder in which justice was denied. Before leaving Kate, who really wasn't paying much attention to the old man's ramblings, he asks after her grandmother, and then leaves her and is immediately run down and killed by a hit-and-run driver. Kate's subsequent search for the story behind this man, Andrew Deacon, lead her on a suspenseful search for answers that covers several countries, and on a personal discovery of her beloved grandmother's past life.

While the plotline lacks the clockwork smoothness of some of Kearsley/Cole's other works, it nevertheless keeps the reader wanting to turn the page. The modern story eclipses in the face of the older narrative--one involving espionage and murder in the exciting and sometimes exotic venues of New York, Lisbon, London and Washington DC. The heroine fails to enjoy any real romantic entanglements of her own, although the author does suggest one in the beginning.

This book was a delight to read with wonderful characters, a mystery that twisted and turned, and was masterfully revealed, piece by piece, through to the very end. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Described by some as a romance this is a rattling good WW2/present day thriller, with of course some romance, but this really does touch your soul.

Journalist Kate Murray is surprised when a man approaches her on a London street, telling her they need to meet and talk about a long-ago murder. Moments later, he is dead, victim of a hit and run.

Intrigued by his words and still clasping the dead man's business card she pursues his story with the vigour of a terrier.

With plenty of twists and turns the book moved at a fast pace and flashes back easily from war-time New York and Lisbon to the present day.

Although there were clues I didn't guess the ending and would highly recommend this novel to anyone who loves espionage stories, mysteries, historical fiction set in WWII or just wants a good thriller.
  mancmilhist | Aug 28, 2014 |
Kate Murray, a Canadian reporter on location covering a murder trial in London, is suddenly approached by an elderly man who offers to tell her about another murder that occurred many years ago. Oddly, he also asks after her grandmother. Tragically, only moments after offering Kate his card and beginning to walk away, he is struck by a passing car. An investigator by nature, Kate resolves to uncover further details about what the man was trying to tell her, but before long she realizes that there is someone else out there who doesn't want any of it to come to light.

I selected this book because I’m lately in the middle of a Susanna Kearsley binge. It is somewhat different, however, from her other works, and I realized later that it was originally published under a pseudonym, perhaps for that reason. The big reveal at the climax was unsatisfyingly disappointing, though I can’t quite put my finger on why. All in all, was moderately enjoyable, but thrillers aren’t typically my thing. ( )
  ryner | Jun 29, 2014 |
"Könnten Sie mir sagen, wie spät es ist?" hörte ich eine Stimme fragen.

'No one lives for ever. But the truth survives us all'. Kate Murray is deeply troubled. In front of her lies a dead man, a stranger who only minutes before had approached her wanting to tell her about a mystery, a long-forgotten murder. The crime was old, he'd told her, but still deserving of justice. Soon Kate is caught up in a dangerous whirlwind of events that takes her back into her grandmother's mysterious war-time past and across the Atlantic as she tries to retrace the dead man's footsteps. Finding out the truth is not so simple, however, as only a few people are still alive who know the story - and Kate soon realises that her questions are putting their lives in danger. Stalked by an unknown and sinister enemy, she must use her tough journalistic instinct to find the answers from the past - before she has to say goodbye to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:19 -0400)

Kate Murray is drawn into a mystery when a stranger makes a familiar comment to her about her grandmother and mentions a murder. A whirlwind of events leads Kate along a dangerous path, looking to the past to see the future, moving between present-day London and Canada and the dangerous, double-crossing streets of war-time Lisbon.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,449,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible