Bloodfever (Fever Series, Book 2) by Karen…

Bloodfever (Fever Series, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (2)

Member:moppety
Title:Bloodfever (Fever Series, Book 2)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Fae, Dublin, Magic, Mystery, Seelie, Unseelie, Supernatural, Vampires

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

English (111)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  English (113)
Bloodfever
3.5 Stars

Note: This review is for the audiobook narrated by Joyce Bean. I'm getting used to her male voices but Barrons still doesn't sound right.

The intricate world-building, compelling mythology and symbolism together with Mac and Barron's intense hate/love relationship manage to keep my interest going in this series despite its shortcomings.

As in Darkfever, the main problem with Bloodfever is the heroine. Barron's comment that Mac is "a spoiled little girl" is right on the money. She remains the immature, self-absorbed and TSTL twit from the previous book although she has, thankfully, reduced the number of times that she rants on about her hair, clothes and the color pink.

JZB is still an enigma and every new facet revealed makes him even more intriguing. There is something acutely primal about him that is oh so appealing. V'lane, on the other hand, is so smarmy, sleazy and sordid - it is incomprehensible to me that so many reviewers swoon over him.

The writing has improved with fewer non-linear transitions and abrupt chapter endings. Unfortunately, Mac still rambles on incessantly about inconsequential things and her mind wanders at inopportune moments to dwell on supposedly profound insights into human nature (while being tortured, for example). There is also an excessive rehashing of events from book one and it is only halfway through that the plot begins to develop and the action gets underway.

Overall, a slight improvement on the first book and I will continue if only to see if Mac truly becomes worthy of her abilities and to get answers to my unanswered questions. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I have to start with a confession. I probably would have given this book a very different rating. But, being the curious little creature that I am, I was checking out some discussions on this series and I found out that there's a short story called The Alpha Alternative: JZB Sex Scene. Because I'm me, I had to check it out. And I did. While I wasn't very impressed by it (I wanted the dirty details, what can I say? *shrugs*) it helped me see Barrons in a very different light. So, even though we get the events from Mac's POV, I know that there's always something else behind Barron's behavior (usually his tendencies to act like a jackass). So yes, he's not as bad as he seems or like he wants Mac to believe. He's still a mystery to me, but he's not so... insufferable as before.

Mac is as sarcastic as ever and I like that about her. Sarcasm is always good in a character. And I like that she's still scared of the world, even though she knows what's out there. But there's something else I see in her. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. She seems a little... naive at times. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's the feeling I get. But yes, I do like her all in all.

Besides that, I liked that there's more mystery surrounding the world. I liked that there's also more darkness and more tendencies towards horror than in other paranormal books. It's one of the reasons why I like the series. Oh, I still don't know what to make of some of the things that happened, and V'Lane still gets on my very last nerve, but the horror, the frightening feeling some of the scenes have are what keep making me want to go on with the series.

Speaking of V'Lane, I know a lot of you like him and I've had people telling me to be patient, that eventually I'll get to liking him. I'm still waiting for that to happen. Honestly, I have yet to see something "likeable" in him. Maybe his "death-by-sex fae" status is what makes my expectations so high? I don't know, but I have yet to like him. He actually made me want to smack him in one scene in this book.

If you asked me if you should read this short scene before going on with the series, I'd say I have no idea. I know it changed my perspective. It depends on how you saw the first book and how you want to go on seeing the characters. I don't have an honest answer, but I do know that my view of Barrons is a lot changed. And I know that I will keep reading the book.
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
The story is still interesting to me and I'm ready to read the next one. I just wish the main character would grow up a little faster! ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 29, 2016 |
5 out of 5 stars!! Sooo much better then the first book! Mac has developed into a great character! Plus ... my biggest issue with the first novel was all of the foreshadowing that made pauses throughout it, which is completely solved in this second novel. I mean there is foreshadowing still but the story keeps flowing around it, which I tremendously enjoyed! =0)

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/03/no-stop-signs-speed-limit-nobo... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Aug 16, 2016 |

fromjesstoyou | Jun 16, 2016 |
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid.
—T. S. Eliot/The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
All of us have our little problems and insecurities.
It’s easy to think outside the box when life has dropped a two-ton elephant on yours.
Fire isn’t good or bad. It just burns.

I used to be your average, everyday girl but all that changed one night in Dublin when I saw my first Fae, and got dragged into a world of deadly immortals and ancient secrets. . . .

In her fight to stay alive, MacKayla must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over the worlds of both the Fae and Man. Pursued by assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she can’t trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and powerful men: V’lane, the immortal Fae Prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man as irresistible as he is dangerous.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240999, Mass Market Paperback)

A Q&A with Karen Marie Moning

What inspired you to launch a new series? And what is the single greatest new twist in the Fever series that fans can expect to enjoy?
Inspiration is a kind word. I didn’t have a choice. It’s the story idea that came and wouldn’t go away. I think the single great­est new twist in the Fever series is that Mac is a continuing heroine, on a critical mission, who gets caught in a danger­ous love-lust triangle with two of the most seductive men I’ve written to date.

If you were casting the Fever series for television, who would be the ideal actress to play Mac. Why?
That’s a tough one. I don’t watch much television and what I do see is after the DVD’s have been released, so I’m woefully out of date. If backed to a wall I'd say Mac is one part George from Dead Like Me, one part Sara Pezzini from Witchblade and one part sweet southern belle who's being forced to discover there's steel under all that magnolia, after all.

You write vividly sexy scenes. You write thrilling suspense plots. Do you find any one part of crafting these novels more challenging than another?
I find them equally challenging. The suspense plots have to be tightly constructed and seamlessly interwoven through the five books of the Fever series, which makes for a lot to keep up with, what to reveal, what not to reveal, how and when. The sexy scenes are very intimate and I don’t shy away from detail, which demands both total immersion and separation of self to write. There are some "sexy" scenes in this series that are far more disturbing than seductive and those are among the most difficult to write. I hope if I'm squirming, wanting to rescue Mac, so is my reader.

Were you surprised at any point in the writing of Blood­fever—meaning did anything come up in the creative pro­cess that was not what you anticipated when you began Darkfever, the first novel in the series?
In Faefever, the third book of the series, Mac says: "Sometimes my dreams feel so real it's hard to believe they're just the subconscious's stroll across a whimsical map that has no true north. Sometimes it seems like Dreaming must be a land that really exists out there somewhere, at a concrete latitude and longitude, with its own rules, laws, treacherous terrains and dangerous inhabitants." (She later finds out The Dreaming does, indeed, exist.) I feel the same about the Fever world. It’s so complete to me, so vividly and exactingly detailed that I think it must really exist out there somewhere. Since the story came to me in toto, there have been very few, minor surprises.

If you could stand in a room with your heroes—the men from any of your novels—not just the Fever novels—who would you most like to interview yourself? Why? What of the women?
Men: The Unseelie King. He’s rumored to be a million years old. I want to know if he’s sorry.
Women: Queen Aoibheal. I want to know if she’s really for­gotten, or if she’s just pretending.

Describe your writing routine when composing the Fever novels.
The location varies but the schedule is the same. I write best in the morning when my subconscious is still simmering with images and metaphors from dreaming. I wrote Darkfeverin Georgia, and Bloodfever in Key West; all that sunshine was a nice counterpoint to the darkness of the story. I start early in the morning, usually around 4:30 or 5:00 and write until 11, break for a two-hour lunch and go back to it around 1. I use the afternoons to edit and work on other aspects of my busi­ness. Before I go to bed I block out the scene(s) I plan to write the next day so my subconscious can mull them over while I sleep.

When you aren’t writing your novels, what are you doing for fun? And what kinds of books or which authors are your favorites?
Lately a lot of lying in the sun—I’m still in Key West and I’m afraid Mac has rubbed off on me, or maybe it’s all the Jimmy Buffet they keep playing down here. Usually, however, I’m not so sedentary. I love to work out, hike, bike, rollerblade, shop with my sisters, and travel with my husband and our cat, Moonshadow. I don’t get nearly enough time to read. The most recent books I finished were the latest by Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Charlaine Harris, and an early Dan Simmons.

And can you share a little sneak peek at what’s coming after Bloodfever?
The darkest hour is before dawn. It isn’t dawn yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

In Dublin the walls are coming down between Man and Faery. That means that the Buffy-like services of MacKayla Lane-the 22-year-old Georgia-born sidhe-seer (or one who can see the Fae) and slayer are required. Mac is determined to kick the nasties back to faeryland and to avenge her sister Alina's murder by the Fae's dark Lord Master. She's also seeking the sinister Sinsar Dubh, a book of black magic. Jericho Barrons, Mac's enigmatic protector, is a purveyor of books and antiquities (and of course, is a major hunk). As Mac takes direction from Jericho, she must resist the sexy dangers of V'lane, a death-by-sex Fae, and learn about her true family of Irish sidhe-seers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,680,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible