HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning
Loading...

Bloodfever (edition 2008)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (2)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,0781103,190 (4.17)51
Member:BookWhisperer
Title:Bloodfever
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Dell (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:1/2
Tags:Fae

Work details

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 51 mentions

English (108)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (110)
Showing 1-5 of 108 (next | show all)
5 out of 5 stars!! Sooo much better then the first book! Mac has developed into a great character! Plus ... my biggest issue with the first novel was all of the foreshadowing that made pauses throughout it, which is completely solved in this second novel. I mean there is foreshadowing still but the story keeps flowing around it, which I tremendously enjoyed! =0)

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/03/no-stop-signs-speed-limit-nobo... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Jun 16, 2016 |
Bloodfever
3.5 Stars

Note: This review is for the audiobook narrated by Joyce Bean. I'm getting used to her male voices but Barrons still doesn't sound right.

The intricate world-building, compelling mythology and symbolism together with Mac and Barron's intense hate/love relationship manage to keep my interest going in this series despite its shortcomings.

As in Darkfever, the main problem with Bloodfever is the heroine. Barron's comment that Mac is "a spoiled little girl" is right on the money. She remains the immature, self-absorbed and TSTL twit from the previous book although she has, thankfully, reduced the number of times that she rants on about her hair, clothes and the color pink.

JZB is still an enigma and every new facet revealed makes him even more intriguing. There is something acutely primal about him that is oh so appealing. V'lane, on the other hand, is so smarmy, sleazy and sordid - it is incomprehensible to me that so many reviewers swoon over him.

The writing has improved with fewer non-linear transitions and abrupt chapter endings. Unfortunately, Mac still rambles on incessantly about inconsequential things and her mind wanders at inopportune moments to dwell on supposedly profound insights into human nature (while being tortured, for example). There is also an excessive rehashing of events from book one and it is only halfway through that the plot begins to develop and the action gets underway.

Overall, a slight improvement on the first book and I will continue if only to see if Mac truly becomes worthy of her abilities and to get answers to my unanswered questions. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Oh my, I am just in love with Barrons. Mac is just crazy. This series is great. I absolutely love it. I've already started the next one. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I am just in love with this series. This is my 2nd time reading this book and I can see myself re-reading it countless times over the years in the future. Mac becomes more aware and more determined in this book. She also has a very real idea of what the Fae can do now, not just the unseelie but the seelie as well after an encounter with V'Lane. Barrons and Mac's little scene was HOT and I can't wait for more of that! I love me some Barrons. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Ich war grade mit dem ersten Teil der Fever-Saga durch, da lag der zweite Teil schon neben mir. Bereits beim Lesen dieses Buches freute ich mich schon, eine Rezension zu schreiben. Dieses Buch hat mich verzaubert und die Welt, die Moning mit diesem Buch noch weiter ausgebaut hat, ist wirklich atemberaubend. Sie hat einen ganz eigenen Stil und auch der dritte Teil wurde schon angelesen. Aber zurück zum zweiten Teil, Im Reich des Vampirs.

Inhalt:

MacKayla Lane, 22 Jahre jung und aus einem kleinen, ländlichen Ort in den Südstaaten, ist weiterhin auf der Suche nach dem Mörder ihrer Schwester Alina, deren Tod sie rächen will. Außerdem ist da noch das Sinsar Dubh, ein Buch welches die tödlichste aller Magien beinhaltet und auf keinen Fall in die Falschen Hände geraten darf. Unterstützt wird sie weiterhin von Jericho Barrons, der Mac am Leben hält und gleichzeitig mit großen Fragezeichen umgeben ist. Auf ihrer Suche trifft Mac auf weitere Seherinnen - ein spannendes Abenteuer beginnt.

Meine Meinung:

Ich bin begeistert! Dieses Buch hat den ersten Teil um Längen übertroffen. Es beginnt mit einer Einleitung, in der die Geschehnisse zuvor nochmal kurz erzählt werden. Alleine bei diesem Teil fühlte ich mich als Leser berührt und konnte gar nicht erwarten das die Geschichte weitergeht. Das ist es auch, was das Buch ausmacht. Man ist immer im Geschehen und fiebert mit Mac, der Protagonistin, quasi um die Wette.

Wie auch schon im ersten Teil ist die Geschichte in der Ich-Form geschrieben. Mac und Barrons bekommen eine große Portion tiefe und man kann gar nicht anders als sie irgendwie lieb zu haben. Hier bekommt das Wort Petunie gleich eine ganz andere Bedeutung; ob ich nun wohl herzhaft lachen muss wenn ich das nächste Mal über Petunien rede?

Was mich wirklich freute ist die Tatsache, dass Moning sich auch in diesem Teil mit einer Romanze zwischen Barrons und Mac zurück hält. Sie schafft es hier genau das richtige Maß zu finden, zumindest nach meinem Geschmack.

Der Titel ist, wie auch schon beim ersten Teil, nicht wirklich passend. In meinen Augen verspricht er viel mehr Vampir als der Leser am Ende bekommt - reine Vampir-Fans aufgepasst! Bloodfever, der Originaltitel, passt dafür perfekt. Besonders gegen Ende bekommt das Wort Blood eine neue Bedeutung in dieser Geschichte - mehr kann ich nicht verraten. Zartbesaitete aufgepasst!

Wer den ersten Teil nicht mochte, dem lege ich den zweiten Teil dennoch ans Herz. Die flapsigen Dialoge sind verschwunden und die Welt, welche Moming geschickt mit unserer heutigen Welt verbindet, ist phänomenal. Auch in diesem Teil ist am Ende des Buches ein hilfreicher Ausschnitt aus Mac's Tagebuch, welcher Fragen über verschieden Begriffe im Buch erklärt. Diesmal gibt es sogar einen kleinen Guide zur Aussprache sowie Ergänzungen zu Mac's Einträgen, mit Erkenntnissen aus diesem Buch. Dazu kommt noch eine Karte von Irland zu Beginn des Buches - perfekt um sich in die Geschichte voll und ganz zu verlieren. ( )
  Wandapanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 108 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid.
—T. S. Eliot/The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
Dedication
First words
All of us have our little problems and insecurities.
Quotations
It’s easy to think outside the box when life has dropped a two-ton elephant on yours.
Fire isn’t good or bad. It just burns.
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description


I used to be your average, everyday girl but all that changed one night in Dublin when I saw my first Fae, and got dragged into a world of deadly immortals and ancient secrets. . . .

In her fight to stay alive, MacKayla must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over the worlds of both the Fae and Man. Pursued by assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she can’t trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and powerful men: V’lane, the immortal Fae Prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man as irresistible as he is dangerous.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them.

Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240999, Mass Market Paperback)


A Q&A with Karen Marie Moning

What inspired you to launch a new series? And what is the single greatest new twist in the Fever series that fans can expect to enjoy?
Inspiration is a kind word. I didn’t have a choice. It’s the story idea that came and wouldn’t go away. I think the single great­est new twist in the Fever series is that Mac is a continuing heroine, on a critical mission, who gets caught in a danger­ous love-lust triangle with two of the most seductive men I’ve written to date.

If you were casting the Fever series for television, who would be the ideal actress to play Mac. Why?
That’s a tough one. I don’t watch much television and what I do see is after the DVD’s have been released, so I’m woefully out of date. If backed to a wall I'd say Mac is one part George from Dead Like Me, one part Sara Pezzini from Witchblade and one part sweet southern belle who's being forced to discover there's steel under all that magnolia, after all.

You write vividly sexy scenes. You write thrilling suspense plots. Do you find any one part of crafting these novels more challenging than another?
I find them equally challenging. The suspense plots have to be tightly constructed and seamlessly interwoven through the five books of the Fever series, which makes for a lot to keep up with, what to reveal, what not to reveal, how and when. The sexy scenes are very intimate and I don’t shy away from detail, which demands both total immersion and separation of self to write. There are some "sexy" scenes in this series that are far more disturbing than seductive and those are among the most difficult to write. I hope if I'm squirming, wanting to rescue Mac, so is my reader.

Were you surprised at any point in the writing of Blood­fever—meaning did anything come up in the creative pro­cess that was not what you anticipated when you began Darkfever, the first novel in the series?
In Faefever, the third book of the series, Mac says: "Sometimes my dreams feel so real it's hard to believe they're just the subconscious's stroll across a whimsical map that has no true north. Sometimes it seems like Dreaming must be a land that really exists out there somewhere, at a concrete latitude and longitude, with its own rules, laws, treacherous terrains and dangerous inhabitants." (She later finds out The Dreaming does, indeed, exist.) I feel the same about the Fever world. It’s so complete to me, so vividly and exactingly detailed that I think it must really exist out there somewhere. Since the story came to me in toto, there have been very few, minor surprises.

If you could stand in a room with your heroes—the men from any of your novels—not just the Fever novels—who would you most like to interview yourself? Why? What of the women?
Men: The Unseelie King. He’s rumored to be a million years old. I want to know if he’s sorry.
Women: Queen Aoibheal. I want to know if she’s really for­gotten, or if she’s just pretending.

Describe your writing routine when composing the Fever novels.
The location varies but the schedule is the same. I write best in the morning when my subconscious is still simmering with images and metaphors from dreaming. I wrote Darkfeverin Georgia, and Bloodfever in Key West; all that sunshine was a nice counterpoint to the darkness of the story. I start early in the morning, usually around 4:30 or 5:00 and write until 11, break for a two-hour lunch and go back to it around 1. I use the afternoons to edit and work on other aspects of my busi­ness. Before I go to bed I block out the scene(s) I plan to write the next day so my subconscious can mull them over while I sleep.

When you aren’t writing your novels, what are you doing for fun? And what kinds of books or which authors are your favorites?
Lately a lot of lying in the sun—I’m still in Key West and I’m afraid Mac has rubbed off on me, or maybe it’s all the Jimmy Buffet they keep playing down here. Usually, however, I’m not so sedentary. I love to work out, hike, bike, rollerblade, shop with my sisters, and travel with my husband and our cat, Moonshadow. I don’t get nearly enough time to read. The most recent books I finished were the latest by Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Charlaine Harris, and an early Dan Simmons.

And can you share a little sneak peek at what’s coming after Bloodfever?
The darkest hour is before dawn. It isn’t dawn yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

(see all 4 descriptions)

In Dublin the walls are coming down between Man and Faery. That means that the Buffy-like services of MacKayla Lane-the 22-year-old Georgia-born sidhe-seer (or one who can see the Fae) and slayer are required. Mac is determined to kick the nasties back to faeryland and to avenge her sister Alina's murder by the Fae's dark Lord Master. She's also seeking the sinister Sinsar Dubh, a book of black magic. Jericho Barrons, Mac's enigmatic protector, is a purveyor of books and antiquities (and of course, is a major hunk). As Mac takes direction from Jericho, she must resist the sexy dangers of V'lane, a death-by-sex Fae, and learn about her true family of Irish sidhe-seers.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
9 avail.
151 wanted
6 pay8 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.17)
0.5 2
1 4
1.5 2
2 26
2.5 5
3 111
3.5 32
4 303
4.5 49
5 336

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,561,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible