Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Collections:Read
Rating:1/2
Tags:Fae

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

English (88)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
I'm giving it a five star review because it was SO much better than the first one that it made me jump right into the next book. The tension between Mac and Barrons was unbelievable, the plot was so much involving and thrilling, some questions were kind of answered and a million others sprung to life, Mac finally stood up to Barrons and he got as good as he gave, sometimes impressively so. Great read! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
The first book was really good, and this continued the story into great. I could not wait to read the next one, and thank goodness it was ready and waiting for me as I finished this one. Hooray! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
So I debated sharing my summary of this one, and decided not too, there isn't too much that changes from the first book. It starts off from the last book, and I was hoping there would be a little more romance in it, but yet again I was disappointed on the romance level. Bloodfever didn't stand out to me, but I think I liked it slightly more than the first one, since it didn't take as long to get through it. I think I knew what I was expecting from the first book, so I was more prepared for this one. The writing style is very moning, however it will take a while to get used to her change of how she is writing fiction now. Maybe the romance will escalate in the later books (I am crossing my fingers). Despite my reservations for this story, I did try to go into with a positive attitude. I did enjoy the tension that puts a punch in this story. We still have two men involved with Mac. Jericho is still as mysterious as ever or even more so now. Vlane, we see a little bit, but not as much as I expected to see especially from the first book. There is a bit of progression in Mac's character, but I still have a difficulty truly liking her. She is admirable at times, but I feel like she complains way too much. I did feel like there were only subtle differences in the plot, from the previous book. So I am hoping that Faefever will have more surprises in store for me than this one was for me. I know this review is pretty negative, especially compared to other reviews I have written, but I am still having a hard time adjusting to this series that is so opposite from her highlander series (which I 5 star recommend). I am enjoying this Fae world that Moning has created, and it has definitely been full of thrills all the way. Overall a action packed story, that if you are looking for a fiction based story with a dangerous world of Fae creatures, with darkness every corner, and no one to trust....than this book is for you!! ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 18, 2014 |
I read book 1 in this series a year ago, almost exactly. Clearly I was not enthralled. In fact, I had to literally force myself to read book 2. I checked it out from the library at least 6 times between June 2011 and May 2012, before I finally read the thing. Why? Because I HATED Barrons in the first book. And I thought Mac was a vapid, dingbat, idiot. So, naturally, I decided I wasn't going to read the rest of the series. Why torture myself, right? Well, after a year of running across all of these glowing, gushy, omg-I-love-it-and-there-will-never-be-another-series-like-it reviews for this series I decided I needed to see if all these gushers were idiots or if I had just stopped too soon.

I have a feeling I am going to be one of those gushers by the end of the series. It's good. I might even come back and raise my rating to 5 stars. I still get a little annoyed at times with the heavy as lead foreshadowing, but other than that, I love it :) If you find yourself in my position where you read the first one and you are not inclined to continue on with the series, just know that this is one of those rare series where the character actually changes immensely throughout the course of the series. Most characters change somewhat or have some kind of life changing revelation, but Mac turns like six 180's (yes, that's three circles in case you're wondering). She IS a vapid idiot at the beginning, but that changes. I'm still not sure about Barrons... but I certainly hate him less, I think. At the very least I am fully invested in finding out about him and Mac and all of the other characters and exactly how this whole mess ends. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Bloodfever, the second novel in Karen Marie Moning’s FEVER series featuring Southerner MacKayla Lane, maintains the fast pace, exciting action, romantic tension, and emotional impact of the first novel. So far, FEVER has not devolved into a brainless paranormal romance which is more focused on sex than plot, and at this point I feel hopeful that such an atrocity will not occur.

I read Brilliance Audio’s version of Bloodfever which was narrated by Joyce Bean. It was difficult to put down. In fact, I listened to the entire book (nine hours) in less than two days, probably annoying my family by having my earbuds in for hours at a time.

Mac is a heroine who feels real — she’s got plenty of courage and spunk, but as she learns more about her place in the ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/bloodfever-audio/
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid.
—T. S. Eliot/The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
All of us have our little problems and insecurities.
It’s easy to think outside the box when life has dropped a two-ton elephant on yours.
Fire isn’t good or bad. It just burns.

I used to be your average, everyday girl but all that changed one night in Dublin when I saw my first Fae, and got dragged into a world of deadly immortals and ancient secrets. . . .

In her fight to stay alive, MacKayla must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over the worlds of both the Fae and Man. Pursued by assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she can’t trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and powerful men: V’lane, the immortal Fae Prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man as irresistible as he is dangerous.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240999, Mass Market Paperback)

A Q&A with Karen Marie Moning What inspired you to launch a new series? And what is the single greatest new twist in the Fever series that fans can expect to enjoy? Inspiration is a kind word. I didn’t have a choice. It’s the story idea that came and wouldn’t go away. I think the single great­est new twist in the Fever series is that Mac is a continuing heroine, on a critical mission, who gets caught in a danger­ous love-lust triangle with two of the most seductive men I’ve written to date. If you were casting the Fever series for television, who would be the ideal actress to play Mac. Why? That’s a tough one. I don’t watch much television and what I do see is after the DVD’s have been released, so I’m woefully out of date. If backed to a wall I'd say Mac is one part George from Dead Like Me, one part Sara Pezzini from Witchblade and one part sweet southern belle who's being forced to discover there's steel under all that magnolia, after all. You write vividly sexy scenes. You write thrilling suspense plots. Do you find any one part of crafting these novels more challenging than another? I find them equally challenging. The suspense plots have to be tightly constructed and seamlessly interwoven through the five books of the Fever series, which makes for a lot to keep up with, what to reveal, what not to reveal, how and when. The sexy scenes are very intimate and I don’t shy away from detail, which demands both total immersion and separation of self to write. There are some "sexy" scenes in this series that are far more disturbing than seductive and those are among the most difficult to write. I hope if I'm squirming, wanting to rescue Mac, so is my reader. Were you surprised at any point in the writing of Blood­fever—meaning did anything come up in the creative pro­cess that was not what you anticipated when you began Darkfever, the first novel in the series? In Faefever, the third book of the series, Mac says: "Sometimes my dreams feel so real it's hard to believe they're just the subconscious's stroll across a whimsical map that has no true north. Sometimes it seems like Dreaming must be a land that really exists out there somewhere, at a concrete latitude and longitude, with its own rules, laws, treacherous terrains and dangerous inhabitants." (She later finds out The Dreaming does, indeed, exist.) I feel the same about the Fever world. It’s so complete to me, so vividly and exactingly detailed that I think it must really exist out there somewhere. Since the story came to me in toto, there have been very few, minor surprises. If you could stand in a room with your heroes—the men from any of your novels—not just the Fever novels—who would you most like to interview yourself? Why? What of the women? Men: The Unseelie King. He’s rumored to be a million years old. I want to know if he’s sorry. Women: Queen Aoibheal. I want to know if she’s really for­gotten, or if she’s just pretending. Describe your writing routine when composing the Fever novels. The location varies but the schedule is the same. I write best in the morning when my subconscious is still simmering with images and metaphors from dreaming. I wrote Darkfeverin Georgia, and Bloodfever in Key West; all that sunshine was a nice counterpoint to the darkness of the story. I start early in the morning, usually around 4:30 or 5:00 and write until 11, break for a two-hour lunch and go back to it around 1. I use the afternoons to edit and work on other aspects of my busi­ness. Before I go to bed I block out the scene(s) I plan to write the next day so my subconscious can mull them over while I sleep. When you aren’t writing your novels, what are you doing for fun? And what kinds of books or which authors are your favorites? Lately a lot of lying in the sun—I’m still in Key West and I’m afraid Mac has rubbed off on me, or maybe it’s all the Jimmy Buffet they keep playing down here. Usually, however, I’m not so sedentary. I love to work out, hike, bike, rollerblade, shop with my sisters, and travel with my husband and our cat, Moonshadow. I don’t get nearly enough time to read. The most recent books I finished were the latest by Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Charlaine Harris, and an early Dan Simmons. And can you share a little sneak peek at what’s coming after Bloodfever? The darkest hour is before dawn. It isn’t dawn yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:18 -0400)

In Dublin the walls are coming down between Man and Faery. That means that the Buffy-like services of MacKayla Lane-the 22-year-old Georgia-born sidhe-seer (or one who can see the Fae) and slayer are required. Mac is determined to kick the nasties back to faeryland and to avenge her sister Alina's murder by the Fae's dark Lord Master. She's also seeking the sinister Sinsar Dubh, a book of black magic. Jericho Barrons, Mac's enigmatic protector, is a purveyor of books and antiquities (and of course, is a major hunk). As Mac takes direction from Jericho, she must resist the sexy dangers of V'lane, a death-by-sex Fae, and learn about her true family of Irish sidhe-seers.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible