Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

Midnight Sun (edition 2020)

by Stephenie Meyer (Author)

Series: Twilight Saga (5)

Member:Paulusmediacenter
Title:Midnight Sun
Authors:Stephenie Meyer (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2020), 672 pages
Collections:fiction
Tags:new

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

This book is ridiculous! Why is Stephenie Meyer cramming four books worth of Edward's POV into one HUGE book? It is very well written and I guess if you're a completist you'll want to read it but I'm perfectly happy letting the previous 4 novels be the final word on the Twilight saga. And did we REALLY need a rip off of EL James Darker idea just because Meyer is a fan? Come on! ( )
  librookian | Nov 4, 2020 |
Amazing ( )
  tommyslibrary | Oct 27, 2020 |
2.75

It was interesting reading from Edwards prospective, which brought new clarity to events happening in the first novel. Being in Edwards head that long did get tedious and often times bordered on insufferable since the same thoughts seemed to drone on and on far too long. We get it Edward, you're a monster, Bella needs you're protection, wait...no...but you're a monster, but you love Bella, but...wait...no you're a monster. *Eye roll* Nostalgia is probably what has this book earning it's stars. That and Meyer's writing. However, about 100 pages of Edwards inner monologue could have been shaved down or at least varied in subject and intensity. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 8, 2020 |
Midnight Sun
Twilight, Book 5

I Picked Up This Book Because: This shouldn’t even be a question right now.

The Characters:

Edward Cullen:
Bella Swan:
Alice, Rosalie, Emmet, Jasper, Carlisle, Esme, other Forks inhabitants

The Story:

I wanted to love this book. I wanted to recapture the magic of my first reading Twilight and then of my first re-read of Twilight. Seriously I think I read the book no less than 4 times. However this was not the case. Did I enjoy reminiscing those good old days? Yes. Did I like gaining more perspective into the Cullen family and how they dealt with this new person joining their family? Yes. Did Edward pluck my every last never with his over thinking, constant flashbacks and sometimes needlessly rambling inner monologue. Hell to the yes!

So I have very mixed feelings. I loved the perspective but Edward just got on my nerves. At one point I could only read about 20 pages a day, then I got the audiobook from the library and was able to push through the last third of the book at a faster clip but I still found him exhausting.

The Random Thoughts:

3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2020 |
First things first. Here's me checking my complete ignorance and privilege. I didn't understand the impact Twilight had on the very real Quileute Tribe. Please read this article which explains it much better then I ever could. I've also sent a donation to help the tribe move to Higher Ground, if you've purchased the book I implore you to also donate.

How Twilight has effected the Quileute Tribe

Donate to help the Quileute Tribe move to higher ground https://mthg.org/

Twilight is very nostalgic for me, as a bookseller I was there throughout the entire phenomenon and it always brings back fond memories. I decided to read 'Midnight Sun' with a bunch of friends over Zoom meetings and we had a whale of a time! I don't want to give an in-depth review, all I can say was that it was unnecessarily long and incredibly self-indulgent of Stephenie Meyer to waffle on for 700 pages and I felt as if the book was an argument justifying Edward's stalkerish behaviour in 'protecting' Bella (the spider part omg! I could not stop laughing) it was never okay and still isn't. I enjoyed more Cullen content, especially Carlisle and I honestly preferred Twilight from Edward's perspective if it weren't so darn long. Edit ( )
  MandaTheStrange | Oct 7, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

This book is dedicated to all the readers who have been such a happy part of my life for the last fifteen years. When we first met, many of you were young teenagers with bright, beautiful eyes full of dreams for the future. I hope that in the years that have passed, you've all found your dreams and that the reality of them was even better than you'd hoped.
This was the time of day when I most wished I were able to sleep.
This work is the completed novel. Please do not combine with the incomplete draft from 2008.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,493,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible