Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex…

Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex

by Jeffrey Kluger

(and How Complex Things Can Be Made Simple)
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Again, done in the tradition of Freakonomics, Sway, and Quirkology, this is an accessible book that encourages the reader to look at both nature and technology in different, nontraditional ways. I appreciated the fact that the author recognized complexity science's limitations throughout the book, especially in areas that had to do with the arts. He was able, however, to make excellent points about patterns that occur in all sorts of other areas, like language, sports, and molecular structure, just to name a few. I'm drawn to these types of books that respect my intelligence but still manage to teach me something new. Another fascinating read. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
Some rather ordinary examples, and some which were mildly interesting. I kept thinking that I had seen all of this before, though. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Came away wishing that in all those words, there was deeper insight into the ideas explored. ( )
  MacDiva | Oct 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book never really came together for me. Complexity and simplexity are interesting topics, but overall this book didn't satisfy me or make me feel like I had gained a good insight on the topic. ( )
  ty1997 | Aug 8, 2011 |
To my family

fork keeping things

simple
To anyone paying attention on the morning of August 29, the death of the little girl at 40 Broad Street did not seem like a terribly remarkable thing. (Prologue)
What might be the three most expensive words ever spoken were uttered on October 15, 1987.

Draws on cutting-edge theories to describe the basic workings of everyday objects and principles in accessible language, covering a wide variety of topics from cell phones and viruses to economics and parenting.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeffrey Kluger's book Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex (And How Complex Things Can Be Made Simple) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible