How To Kill A Monster (Goosebumps Series) by…

How To Kill A Monster (Goosebumps Series) (original 1996; edition 2003)

by R.L. Stine

Title:How To Kill A Monster (Goosebumps Series)
Authors:R.L. Stine
Info:Scholastic (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages

How To Kill A Monster by R. L. Stine (1996)

## Step 1: Run. Step 2: Run faster.

How to Kill a Monster is as generic as the Goosebumps series got. Siblings Gretchen and Clark are spending a few days with their grandparents while their parents are on a business trip to Atlanta, Georgia. Their grandparents live far off the grid in the heart of the swamps. They have no phones, no TV, almost no windows -- they hardly even have working electricity! They also live in a house designed after a castle, oddly enough, which isn't the smartest move for sinking swamp soils.

Gretchen and Clark are baffled by the way their grandparents live, and by the odd behaviors they exhibit. They're both constantly cooking impossibly large portions and sneaking the plates off to a locked room of the 'castle.' The siblings investigate and, sure enough, find a verifiable swamp monster trapped in part of the house.

In a shocking display of poor -- bizarre -- parenting, the grandparents lock the siblings in with the monster and leave, asserting that the kids must either prevent the monster from getting out, or find a way to kill it.

## "'We know it's unfair to run off now. But we're just going for help. We'll be back -- as soon as we can find someone. Someone who knows what to do with this horrible beast.
## "'Sorry, kids. We really are -- but we had to bolt you inside the house. To make sure you didn't wander into the swamp by yourselves. It's not safe out there.'"
## Were they for

It's a plain entry, repeating too many beats from earlier stories. I did like that the siblings were not biological siblings, even if it didn't affect the plot -- R.L. Stine's families typically stick to stereotypes of the American ideal. Other than that, it's a mildly enjoyable diversion compared to the better Goosebumps stories, but I can't recommend it.

(It also contains this baffling paragraph: 'Clark stared at me. Frozen. His eyes on the raging monster.' How in the world did that make it past the editor?)

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps (1992–1997):
#45 Ghost Camp | #47 Legend of the Lost Legend ( )
2 vote alaskayo | Aug 24, 2016 |
"An Apple paperback." | "A Parachute Press book."
  Bookman1954 | Feb 17, 2015 |
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
Clark and Gretchen has to stay in their grandparents.When they were staying they heard a strange growling noise upstairs and they are going upstairs. People who likes scary story and mystery stories because this book is scary and mystery. ( )
  ywoo | Sep 20, 2010 |
This book has some issues: Gretchen and Clark are left with their grandparents who lock them in with a monster. Basically they're bored so they go in the locked room they're told not to enter because of the danger, and discover a monster inside. They run madly around the house trying to kill it and discover that their grandparents deserted them to "get help". Luckily the monster is allergic to humans and dies, but that does nothing to stop its evil siblings in the swamp outside. ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Dec 2, 2007 |
"Why do we have to go there?" I wailed from the back seat.

Gretchen and her stepbrother, Clark, hate staying at their grandparents' house. Grandpa Eddie is totally deaf. And Grandma Rose is obsessed with baking. Plus, they live right in the middle of a dark,muddy swamp.
Things couldn't get ay worse, could they? WRONG!
Because there's something really weird about Grandma and Grandpa's house. Something odd about the room upstairs. The one that's locked. The one with the strange noises coming from it. Strange growling noises ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439568366, Mass Market Paperback)

They're baa-ck! Just when you thought it was safe…the top-selling titles in the series that revolutionized horro are back with a fresh new look.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

Gretchen and her stepbrother,Clark, hate staying at their grandparents' house. There's something odd about the upstairs room ... the one that's locked.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,844,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible