The Witness for the Prosecution and Other…

The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories

by Agatha Christie (Author)

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
The majority of these stories have a supernatural bent, which is unusual for Christie, but shows her skill at creating tension in just a short amount of time. "The Fourth Man" is a tale of three orphans, two of whom are at the mercy of their more attractive and cruel friend, and is particularly good. The title story is a good, twisted crime story. ( )
  mstrust | Aug 25, 2015 |
This BBC radio drama attempts to present the essential elements of Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution in less than half an hour. It's only partially successful. While key parts of the plot are present, too much of the context has been stripped out of the drama. I've seen the play and the films based on it enough times to be familiar with all of the plot twists and I still had trouble making sense of the radio drama. I even re-listened to a couple of segments and still felt like I was missing something. I'd love to have heard the cast in an unabridged audio production of the play. If you haven't seen, heard, or read the play as written by Christie, avoid this plot-spoiling bare bones adaptation. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 25, 2015 |
I love love love Agatha Christie but this book just didn't do it for me. Not enough "puzzle" and not enough of the great characters I expect from her. A very rare dud for Agatha Christie. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
This is collection of short stories, so some of them are better than others. The only one I really disliked is "The Fourth Man". My favorites were the title story, "Philomel Cottage", and "Where There's a Will" (should have a been an episode of Suspense!). ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Lots of fine twists to the spaghetti. Christie is particularly well served by the short form/script because of her focus on plot. I think I read the play first, then the story for comparison.

Library copies ( )
  Kaethe | Mar 29, 2013 |

Christie, AgathaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Witness for the Prosecution; The Red Signal; The Fourth Man; S.O.S.; Where There's a Will; Mystery of the Blue Jar; Philomel Cottage; Accident; The Second Gong. The Witness for the Prosecution was initially published as Traitor Hands in Flynn's Weekly in 1925.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312979738, Mass Market Paperback)

A murder trial takes a diabolical turn when the wife of the accused takes a stand...A woman's sixth--and a loaded revolver--signal premonitions of doom...A stranded motorist seeks refuge in a remote mansion, and is greeted with a dire warning...Detective Hercule Poirot faces his greatest challenge when his services are enlisted--by the victim--in a bizarre locked-room murder. From the stunning title story (which inspired the classic film thriller) to the rarest gems in detective fiction, these 11 tales of baffling rime and brilliant deduction showcase Agatha Christie at her dazzling best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

A collection of 11 short stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,790,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible