The Language of Sisters: A Novel by Amy…

The Language of Sisters: A Novel

by Amy Hatvany

It has been a decade since Nicole Hunter left her troubles behind her. Ten years since she made the decision to leave her dysfunctional family and troubled home, and search for contentment elsewhere. She loves her family deeply, yet also finds herself unable to cope with the demands of living a life with her severely disabled sister, Jenny. While she has always felt somewhat guilty for leaving, Nicole tells herself that at the time she was doing the right thing.

Although her continuing search for happiness - both in her career and in love - has fallen somewhat short of her dreams, Nicole still pretends to everyone that all is well. Then an earth-shattering phone call sends her rushing back home to be with her family. As Nicole's world is turned upside down, she soon finds herself back in her hometown, caring for her pregnant sister and attempting to heal her contentious relationship with her mother. While it may be difficult for her to do, Nicole views her return to her hometown as a chance to reconnect with her family.

Reunited with her family and forced to confront the guilt that still haunts her, Nicole recognizes that she finally has the chance to be the sister she always wanted to be. A second chance to be the sister she always wished she had been when she was younger. She soon comes to the realization that her feelings of guilt are almost entirely subjective. And when she is faced with the most difficult choice of her life, Nicole rediscovers the beauty of sisterhood - and receives a special gift that will change her life forever.

First of all, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The story was well-written and sharply developed. I found myself connecting with the characters and really feeling for them and what they were all going through. In my opinion, Ms. Hatvany's writing style is both compassionate and extremely poignant. Having said that, I also must admit that the story seemed just the slightest bit predictable. I would still give this book a very strong A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Apr 26, 2016 |
I have read 4 of Amy Hatvany’s books and each one of them is 5 Star plus) quality. I so love her style of writing and how she is not afraid to tackle controversial and social issues. Language of Sisters was incredible (I now cannot wait for her next book). I read the e-book on a flight in two days and hated when the flight attendant instructed to close the electronics, as could not wait to dive back in on next flight connection.

I highly recommend this book as a story of two sisters and their incredible bond and love connection. Amy has great insight into RS (and other disabilities), as at the end of the book described this as her inspiration for this work of fiction with her own sister’s care.

I always love her humor in the story and the smart come backs of dialogue. Wow, would I love to have a best friend like the friendship Nichole had with her best friend from childhood. How incredible!

Without giving away the book—sometimes we do not know what life has in store for us until we give of ourselves—then the gift of unconditional comes automatically. I also loved the characters Garrett/Lucy and would love a continuation of the wonderful cast.

A must read – I love this author and look forward to her next book. (I would encourage you to read all her works as you will not be disappointed! (look forward to Safe with Me - coming 3/2014!)
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This is a touching story about the bond between two sisters.I loved the bond between the sisters and how they could hear each others hearts even though one could not speak. ( )
  teeth | Sep 26, 2014 |
enjoyed it half way, then it got too mushy for me. ( )
  amanaceerdh | Dec 20, 2012 |
Another great book written by Amy Hatvany. She has a handle on making you feel every emotion of the characters. I love that her books include real life issues. Nothing is perfect. The relationship between the sisters is one of complete love and the dedication actually made me think about the relationship I have with my own children who are living with disabilities. ( )
  Erin.Mast | Dec 10, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145168813X, Paperback)

Ten years ago, Nicole Hunter left her troubled home behind her, unable to cope with the demands of a life with her disabled sister, Jenny. Though her search for happiness—both in career and in love—has fallen short of her dreams, Nicole pretends that all is well. Then a shattering event turns her world upside down, and suddenly, she is back in her hometown, caring for her pregnant sister and trying to heal her embattled relationship with her mother.

Reunited with her family and forced to confront the guilt that haunts her, Nicole finally has the chance to be the sister she always wished she’d been. And when she is faced with the most difficult choice of her life, Nicole rediscovers the beauty of sisterhood—and receives a special gift that will change her life forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:51 -0400)

Ten years ago, Nicole Hunter left her troubled home behind her, unable to cope with the demands of a life with her disabled sister, Jenny. Though her search for happiness--both in career and in love--has fallen short of her dreams, Nicole pretends that all is well. Then a shattering event turns her world upside down, and suddenly, she is back in her hometown, caring for her pregnant sister and trying to heal her embattled relationship with her mother.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible