The Memory Tree by John R. Little

The Memory Tree

by John R. Little

This book... from the moment I picked it up, I very nearly couldn't put it down. Little's narrative has an eerie inertia, and although the tragedies and the darkness at the heart of the book make it something of a horror novel, there's also a lightness to it--as if, after everything, there's hope for innocence and childhood and goodness, even where evidence of the same seems to be lacking.

In truth, I'm not sure how to speak of this book without giving things away. The subject matter is dark, and as speculative fiction goes, the horror is frighteningly everyday, made of what we see on the news and wish weren't true. But Little's plotting is masterful, and the twists here are impressive, more often than not coming out of the blue and with a bit of half-tuned heartbreak.

All in all, this is a dark read, but it's also kind of wonderful. It's not for children, and not for readers who'll want to turn away from difficult subjects... but it is worthwhile, and I'll remember it.

I'll also be looking for any of Little's other writing. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Dec 14, 2016 |
John Little handles his themes masterfully. I was drawn in from the first pages and read the entire book in one sitting -- NOT my usual pace. Good characters, good story, good setting -- an excellent book.

Pity that the publisher went under. The book will be hard to find -- here's hoping another publisher takes it on. ( )
1 vote thesmellofbooks | Dec 15, 2009 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible