Flowers for Algernon (Bantam Classic) by…

Flowers for Algernon (Bantam Classic) (original 1966; edition 1984)

by Daniel Keyes

9,997256285 (4.09)1 / 362
Member:24girl
Title:Flowers for Algernon (Bantam Classic)
Authors:Daniel Keyes
Info:Bantam (1984), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (1966)

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Charlie is definitely not like Lou, true. But their experiences and perspectives have the same mental effect on readers.
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (angelofmusic_81)
    Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (Mumugrrl)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (sturlington)
    After Many a Summer Dies the Swan by Aldous Huxley (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: Similar introduction of a speculative/fantastical premise as a device for observing and criticizing the writer's present reality.
    The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Mixtape for the Apocalypse by Jemiah Jefferson (kiparsky)
    kiparsky: Similar narrative structure used for a similar purpose, and both are brilliant and heartbreaking books.
    Camp Concentration by Thomas M. Disch (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Same theme of experimental intelligence enhancement. Disch's experimenters are much more sinister, and his experimental subjects much more intelligent.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (unlucky)
    Oversite by Maureen F. McHugh (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: A short story by Maureen McHugh about an experimental treatment for Alzheimer's that looks at the effect of loss and gain of mental functioning from a bystander's point-of-view.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Patangel)
    My Teacher Fried My Brains by Bruce Coville (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: More humor, less drama, but a similar effect in the end.

English (248)  French (4)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All (256)
i randomly started reading this at school at one point because it sounded interesting. i finished it today and...... my heart is in pieces. this is absolutely heartbreaking. in the beginning it starts out all sweet because charles is very innocent it's like reading from the perspective of a child and then his progress becomes visible on the page but then it all goes to waste and the last sentence just absolutely ruined me.
i got surprisingly attached to algernon. and to charles also. and i just wanted to shout at every other character that just because he's smarter doesn't make him a worse person.
i think everybody could learn something from this. ( )
1 vote Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
An SF classic that i've never got around to - until now! ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
What an excellent book that I never read when I was young! My sons have to read it for their November book club and I decided to read it as well, though I was familiar with the story. Glad I did. I think Keyes did a fanstastic job exploring the original and changed Charlies. I imagine that if I had read it at say, age 14, much of the middle might have breezed over my head as Keyes intended.

And props to him for sticking to his original ending. Tragic...but necessary.
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This is the only book that came really really close to making me cry ( )
  pchr8 | May 11, 2017 |
A wonderful book.

Charlie, mentally retarded adult gets an operation that greatly increases his IQ. He then goes through it again backwards.

As Charlie gets smart he has to deal with the realization that his "friends" had been laughing at him and treating him as a joke. As he gets smarter he has trouble relating to people. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
[Keyes] has taken the obvious, treated it in a most obvious fashion, and succeeded in creating a tale that is suspenseful and touching - all in modest degree, but it is enough.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Eliot Fremont-Smith (pay site) (Mar 7, 1966)

Daniel Keyesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rabkin, Eric S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, DomingoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szepessy, GyörgyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anyone who has common sense will remember that the bewilderments of the eyes are of two kinds, and arise from two causes, either from coming out of the light or from going into the light, which is true of the mind's eye, quite as much as of the bodily eye; and he who remembers this when he sees anyone whose vision is perplexed and weak, will not be to (sic) ready to laugh; he will first ask whether that soul of man has come out of the brighter life, and is unable to see because unaccustomed to the dark, or having turned from drakness to the day is dazzled by excess of light. And he will count the one happy in his condition and state of being, and he will pity the other; or, if he have a mind to laugh at the soul which comes from below into the light, there will be more reason in this than in the laugh which greets him who returns from above out of the light into the den. Plato, The Republic
For my mother And in memory of my father
Dr Strauss says I shoud rite down what I think and remembir and evrey thing that happins to me from now on.
This is the full length novel based on the short story. Please do not combine the two.

What if your dream to

get smart came true, but then you

knew you'd lose it all?

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156030306, Paperback)

Daniel Keyes wrote little SF but is highly regarded for one classic, Flowers for Algernon. As a 1959 novella it won a Hugo Award; the 1966 novel-length expansion won a Nebula. The Oscar-winning movie adaptation Charly (1968) also spawned a 1980 Broadway musical.

Following his doctor's instructions, engaging simpleton Charlie Gordon tells his own story in semi-literate "progris riports." He dimly wants to better himself, but with an IQ of 68 can't even beat the laboratory mouse Algernon at maze-solving:

I dint feel bad because I watched Algernon and I lernd how to finish the amaze even if it takes me along time.

I dint know mice were so smart.

Algernon is extra-clever thanks to an experimental brain operation so far tried only on animals. Charlie eagerly volunteers as the first human subject. After frustrating delays and agonies of concentration, the effects begin to show and the reports steadily improve: "Punctuation, is? fun!" But getting smarter brings cruel shocks, as Charlie realizes that his merry "friends" at the bakery where he sweeps the floor have all along been laughing at him, never with him. The IQ rise continues, taking him steadily past the human average to genius level and beyond, until he's as intellectually alone as the old, foolish Charlie ever was--and now painfully aware of it. Then, ominously, the smart mouse Algernon begins to deteriorate...

Flowers for Algernon is a timeless tear-jerker with a terrific emotional impact. --David Langford

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:21 -0400)

From the Publisher: With more than five million copies sold, Flowers for Algernon is the beloved, classic story of a mentally disabled man whose experimental quest for intelligence mirrors that of Algernon, an extraordinary lab mouse. In poignant diary entries, Charlie tells how a brain operation increases his IQ and changes his life. As the experimental procedure takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment seems to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance-until Algernon begins his sudden, unexpected deterioration. Will the same happen to Charlie? An American classic that inspired the award-winning movie Charly.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,103,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible