Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon (original 1966; edition 1968)

8,764211345 (4.09)1 / 308
Member:johnboles
Title:Flowers for Algernon
Authors:
Info:Bantam (1968), Unknown Binding
Rating:***

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (1966)

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Charlie is definitely not like Lou, true. But their experiences and perspectives have the same mental effect on readers.
    Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (Mumugrrl)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (unlucky)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (angelofmusic_81)
    Mixtape for the Apocalypse by Jemiah Jefferson (kiparsky)
    kiparsky: Similar narrative structure used for a similar purpose, and both are brilliant and heartbreaking books.
    After Many a Summer Dies the Swan by Aldous Huxley (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: Similar introduction of a speculative/fantastical premise as a device for observing and criticizing the writer's present reality.
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (shesinplainview, sturlington)
    Camp Concentration by Thomas M. Disch (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Same theme of experimental intelligence enhancement. Disch's experimenters are much more sinister, and his experimental subjects much more intelligent.
    Oversite by Maureen F. McHugh (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: A short story by Maureen McHugh about an experimental treatment for Alzheimer's that looks at the effect of loss and gain of mental functioning from a bystander's point-of-view.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Patangel)
    My Teacher Fried My Brains by Bruce Coville (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: More humor, less drama, but a similar effect in the end.
Unread books (1,058)

English (203)  French (4)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (211)
Charlie is part of a project to enhance brain capability, can handle the incredible rise in his intelligence? What will he do when things go wrong?
  stacy3176 | Jul 28, 2015 |
Synopsis:
Charlie is an "exceptional" man with an I.Q. of 70. He is living independently on the mercy of other people, a bakery owner who loves him as a son after his uncle (who was his primary care taker) dies, and going to school for retarded adults. He is selected to undergo an operation that will, hopefully, more than double his I.Q. and be the first of many mentally disabled adults and children who will be "normalized." The operation has had tremendous success with animal trials including a mouse named Algernon who is used as a parallel throughout the book. The operation is a huge success and charlie's I.Q. is mentioned to have reached 185, though it appears that it may have peaked after this number is mentioned. Charlie is confronted with a new sense of self-awareness and realizes that people make fun of him and it bothers him for the first time in his life. He also becomes aware of the ways in which the scientists remark that he was less than human and of little value to society prior to the surgery causing more than a little animosity between Charlie and the scientists. He also discovers what it is to love someone in a sexual way. Things seem to be continuously trending upward for Charlie when strange behavior displayed by Algernon cause the scientists and Charlie to wonder if he will also begin to deteriorate.

Review: **There are spoilers below**
I didn't have to read this for high school, but every one of my friends had and I only picked it up because my wife wanted me to read it with her. That being said I thought the book was lovely, and really confronted they way that we approach those who struggle with having intellectual and emotional deficits. I had a slew of mixed feelings at the end of this book seeing the progression that Charlie made from his new found self awareness to his struggles being far more intelligent than his peers and even the doctors and scientists who performed his surgery and eventual digression back toward his state before the operation. I want to feel bad for Charlie because he isn't the genius he was, but then am I, like the doctors and psychologists of the book, devaluing Charlie because of this deficit? Charlie even makes the argument in the book that in ways he was better off before having the surgery, he had friends and he loved people and people loved him and now he feels isolated and alone and unable to connect with people on an emotional level. Even now I find it difficult to articulate the way that this book made me feel, mostly because of the internal conflict of thoughts and emotions that I haven't hashed through yet. While this was a very simple read I feel like there was a sense of depth to it that makes it enjoyable for all ages of readers. ( )
1 vote wkeblejr | Jul 22, 2015 |
This Nebula award-winning novel asks the question what if we can change our intelligence. Follow the journey one mentally disabled man took as he underwent an operation to increase his IQ. Students will not only think about the effects of increased intelligence but will also see the changes in perception on the world due to that.
  Melina_Hiatt_Easter | Jul 16, 2015 |
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is a modern classic and as I read I had the feeling of having read it before. Which didn't impair my enjoyment of this imaginative and thought-provoking book in the slightest. The story concerns a mentally impaired man living in the 1950's in New York. He works as a general helper at a bakery owned by a friend of his father's and he also attends night class for people with learning difficulties and despite his low IQ, he has learned to read and write. He is enrolled in a scientific study, one which has had success in developing an operation that has succeeded in tripling the IQ of rats, although until the latest lab rat, Algernon, the improvements were temporary. Charlie is the first human this operation is tested on, and it is a success. But the rapid raise in his intelligence does not come with a corresponding raise in his social skills or ability to handle his altered circumstances. And then there is his growing awareness that he is nothing but a scientific prize to be shown off.

Flowers for Algernon is very much a part of the time in which it was written, giving an atmospheric view of the New York of sixty years ago, along with insight into how children were raised and how women were viewed at that time. Written as Charlie's diary entries, the book has an immediate and personal feel to it. I can certainly see why it has stood the test of time, and I'm sure that we'll still be reading it in another sixty years. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Jun 21, 2015 |
This book is incredible. I don't think there are enough words for me to describe how deeply it touched me. I will say that the first missing apostrophe towards the end of the book was devastating. This is an enlightening, heartbreaking story that changed the way I think about the human mind, and humanity all together.
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
[Keyes] has taken the obvious, treated it in a most obvious fashion, and succeeded in creating a tale that is suspenseful and touching - all in modest degree, but it is enough.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Eliot Fremont-Smith (pay site) (Mar 7, 1966)

Daniel Keyesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rabkin, Eric S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, DomingoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szepessy, GyörgyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anyone who has common sense will remember that the bewilderments of the eyes are of two kinds, and arise from two causes, either from coming out of the light or from going into the light, which is true of the mind's eye, quite as much as of the bodily eye; and he who remembers this when he sees anyone whose vision is perplexed and weak, will not be to (sic) ready to laugh; he will first ask whether that soul of man has come out of the brighter life, and is unable to see because unaccustomed to the dark, or having turned from drakness to the day is dazzled by excess of light. And he will count the one happy in his condition and state of being, and he will pity the other; or, if he have a mind to laugh at the soul which comes from below into the light, there will be more reason in this than in the laugh which greets him who returns from above out of the light into the den. Plato, The Republic
For my mother And in memory of my father
Dr Strauss says I shoud rite down what I think and remembir and evrey thing that happins to me from now on.
This is the full length novel based on the short story. Please do not combine the two.

What if your dream to

get smart came true, but then you

knew you'd lose it all?

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156030306, Paperback)

Daniel Keyes wrote little SF but is highly regarded for one classic, Flowers for Algernon. As a 1959 novella it won a Hugo Award; the 1966 novel-length expansion won a Nebula. The Oscar-winning movie adaptation Charly (1968) also spawned a 1980 Broadway musical.

Following his doctor's instructions, engaging simpleton Charlie Gordon tells his own story in semi-literate "progris riports." He dimly wants to better himself, but with an IQ of 68 can't even beat the laboratory mouse Algernon at maze-solving:

I dint feel bad because I watched Algernon and I lernd how to finish the amaze even if it takes me along time.

I dint know mice were so smart.

Algernon is extra-clever thanks to an experimental brain operation so far tried only on animals. Charlie eagerly volunteers as the first human subject. After frustrating delays and agonies of concentration, the effects begin to show and the reports steadily improve: "Punctuation, is? fun!" But getting smarter brings cruel shocks, as Charlie realizes that his merry "friends" at the bakery where he sweeps the floor have all along been laughing at him, never with him. The IQ rise continues, taking him steadily past the human average to genius level and beyond, until he's as intellectually alone as the old, foolish Charlie ever was--and now painfully aware of it. Then, ominously, the smart mouse Algernon begins to deteriorate...

Flowers for Algernon is a timeless tear-jerker with a terrific emotional impact. --David Langford

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:21 -0400)

From the Publisher: With more than five million copies sold, Flowers for Algernon is the beloved, classic story of a mentally disabled man whose experimental quest for intelligence mirrors that of Algernon, an extraordinary lab mouse. In poignant diary entries, Charlie tells how a brain operation increases his IQ and changes his life. As the experimental procedure takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment seems to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance-until Algernon begins his sudden, unexpected deterioration. Will the same happen to Charlie? An American classic that inspired the award-winning movie Charly.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,461,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible