The Secret History of the American Empire:…

The Secret History of the American Empire: The Truth About Economic Hit… (2007)

by John Perkins

319534,767 (3.79)3

I liked "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" better, but this was still a great read. While "Confessions" focused more on his personal journey and realization, this book focused more on specific Economic Hit Man experiences in major parts of the world. The book is broken out to Asia, the Middle East and Africa, and does a good job of connecting the events that occurred throughout the world.

I especially liked the last section of the book which focused on what you can do to change and influence the world. Very motivating and inspirational! ( )
  ErnestS | Mar 10, 2009 |
Not as good as his first book, but still interesting ( )
  sfisk | Sep 4, 2008 |
Most of the book is quite depressing, telling stories of government and ccrporate atrocities. But hte last section is quite uplifiting in offering hope for change, specific actions we can take to promote change, and lists of organizations working for change. ( )
  reannon | Nov 22, 2007 |
Great book! While his stories are captivating he manages to bring it all together into a call for action that is hard to ignore! ( )
  linton | Jun 23, 2007 |
A letdown after his first book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. ( )
  tongabob | Jun 17, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 052595015X, Hardcover)

A riveting exposé of international corruption—and what we can do about it, from the author of Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, which spent over a year on the New York Times bestseller list.

In his stunning memoir, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, John Perkins detailed his former role as an "economic hit man" in the international corporate skullduggery of a de facto American Empire. This riveting, behind-the-scenes exposé unfolded like a cinematic blockbuster told through the eyes of a man who once helped shape that empire. Now, in The Secret History of the American Empire, Perkins zeroes in on hot spots around the world and, drawing on interviews with other hit men, jackals, reporters, and activists, examines the current geopolitical crisis. Instability is the norm: It’s clear that the world we’ve created is dangerous and no longer sustainable. How did we get here? Who’s responsible? What good have we done and at what cost? And what can we do to change things for the next generations? Addressing these questions and more, Perkins reveals the secret history behind the events that have created the American Empire, including:

• The current Latin-American revolution and its lessons for democracy
• How the "defeats" in Vietnam and Iraq benefited big business
• The role of Israel as "Fortress America" in the Middle East
• Tragic repercussions of the IMF’s "Asian Economic Collapse"
• U.S. blunders in Tibet, Congo, Lebanon, and Venezuela
• Jackal (CIA operatives) forays to assassinate democratic presidents

From the U.S. military in Iraq to infrastructure development in Indonesia, from Peace Corps volunteers in Africa to jackals in Venezuela, Perkins exposes a conspiracy of corruption that has fueled instability and anti-Americanism around the globe. Alarming yet hopeful, this book provides a compassionate plan to reimagine our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:42 -0400)

Perkins, author of Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, zeroes in on hot spots around the world and, drawing on interviews with other hit men, jackals (CIA operatives), reporters, and activists, examines the current geopolitical crisis. Instability is the norm: It's clear that the world we've created is dangerous and no longer sustainable. How did we get here? Who's responsible? What good have we done and at what cost? And what can we do to change things for the next generations? Perkins reveals the secret history behind the events that have created the American Empire, including: the current Latin American revolution and its lessons for democracy; how the "defeats" in Vietnam and Iraq benefited big business; the role of Israel as "Fortress America" in the Middle East; tragic repercussions of the IMF's "Asian Economic Collapse"; U.S. blunders in Tibet, Congo, Lebanon, and Venezuela; jackal forays to assassinate democratic presidents. Alarming yet hopeful, this book provides a compassionate plan to reimagine our world.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,669,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible