The Good That Men Do by Andy Mangels

This book, I believe, was intended to "fix" the last episode of Enterprise, because of the needless death of our lovable chief engineer...and...well, honestly I didn't much care for how they decided to change it!
There some things I liked, yes, but I think instead of saying his death was simply faked for a bigger plot, I think the time-travel route would have been a much better device. Saying he became a spy doesn't allow him to go back to the Enterprise, while time-travel can erase the needless death all together.

However, I still enjoyed bits of this book, but overall it was meh and kind of too bleak of an ending.
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
This book is the 1st of 4 books that reveal how Enterprise the TV series should have ended. The other books in the series ae Star Trek Enterprise (STE) Kobayashi Maru, STE The Romulan War Beneath the Rapots Wing, and STE The Roomulan War To Brave the Storm. These books tell the story Captian Archer's crew from the end of Xindi War to the beginning of the Federation of Planets. The writer does not cheat his readers with time travel or magic aliens but tells a great tale.

The Good that men do focuses on the early adventures of Charles Trip Tucker. His story will be woven through the fabric of the next three books. This book looks at his recruitment into Section 31 and his infiltration into the Romulan Star Empire.

The book is a great read and by the end of it you will want to read the next 3 books. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
An interesting book concerning the "loss" of Trip, history being rewritten, and the beginnings of the first Federation - Romulan war. ( )
  dswaddell | May 14, 2012 |
This is the first Enterprise book I've ever read. I'm a fan of Mangels & Martin, from their work on the Star Trek: Titan series and this book keeps them in my short list of favorite Star Trek authors. I especially enjoyed the way that the Enterprise history was woven in with Jake and Nog from DS9. Hard book to put down. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Jan 26, 2012 |
An interesting story line. Nog (from DS9) finds information about events from the beginnings of the Federation (Enterprise time frame) that are in conflict with the established history everyone learns in school. He shows it to Jake and we, the readers, read along with them the events of Archer, T'Pol, Tucker, and the Romulans before the formation of the Federation. I have not seen many of the Enterprise episodes so do not know much about events leading up to this story but I did enjoy what the author had to write. ( )
  daniethammer | May 6, 2009 |

Andy Mangelsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martin, Michael A.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Perplies, BerndTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Although light-years separated him from his homeworld, the cool rain falling through the moss-covered trees reminded Nog of Ferenginar.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743440013, Mass Market Paperback)

Pax Galactica. Enemies become allies. Old secrets are at last revealed. Long-held beliefs and widely accepted truths are challenged. Man turns to leisurely pursuits.

In this golden age, two old friends are drawn together. They seek to understand, and wonder how what they have long believed, what they have been taught, was never so.

Over two hundred years ago, the life of one of Starfleet's earliest pioneers came to a tragic end, and Captain Jonathan Archer, the legendary commander of Earth's first warp-five starship, lost a close friend. Or so it seemed for many years. But with the passage of time, and the declassification of certain crucial files, the truth about that fateful day -- the day that Commander Charles "Trip" Tucker III didn't die -- could finally be revealed.

Why did Starfleet feel it was necessary to rewrite history? And why only now can the truth be told?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,641,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible