Human Nature Explored by George Mandler

Human Nature Explored

by George Mandler

5None1,436,638NoneNone

No reviews

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195112237, Hardcover)

What exactly is "human nature"? Are we correct in accepting ourselves as unchangeable, determined by biology, or is this idea an obstacle to our cognitive, emotional, and evolutionary development?
George Mandler explores these questions from a fresh evolutionary and social perspective. He examines the burgeoning field of evolutionary psychology and suggests a mid-course correction. Topics are approached from a variety of backgrounds, drawing on relevant literature and Mandler's own research. He begins with what we know about evolution and gene expression, then moves on to the complex phenomena of consciuosness and emotion. The constraints of both nature and nurture are discussed as limiting forces on human development, and natural selection is considered in the context of our social fabric, which draws on both psychological and anthropological knowledge. Mandler considers human difference, particularly in regard to intelligence and gender, and discusses the nature of human values, including our need for morality and freedom. The book concludes with an appraisal of human cognition and language.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,153,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible