Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

Eva Luna (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Isabel Allende

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Eva Luna
Authors:Isabel Allende
Info:Bantam (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Short Stories, Latin/Hispanic, USA

Eva Luna by Isabel Allende (1987)

English (24)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (37)
If you're a fan of magic realism, you can't go wrong with Allende. ( )
  deckla | Apr 5, 2016 |
Such a talented writer, able to take the reader far far away. Although I don't remember the story line, I do remember this book being a wonderful fantasy read full of mystery and illusion, same as House of the Spirits. I'm pretty sure I read it because I liked House of the Spirits so much. I read these two books many years ago, might be that I read the other one because of liking THIS one so much. They both stick out in my mind as being wonderful stories. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
What wonderful invention and marvellous writing. Simply delightful to read.
Read Samoa Aug 2003 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 28, 2015 |
I tend to read books that are mainly realistic fiction, but this book just had a bit too much magical realism for me. Not to mention that I also dislike Hispanic literature. I'm not saying this is a poor book in the slightest; Allende's writing style is vivid and flowing. It just wasn't the book for me. ( )
  juliamarinaro | Aug 19, 2014 |
Eva Luna tells stories which enchant people. This is the story of her improbable life beginning as the product of a red-haired housekeeper named Consuelo and an Indian dieing of a snakebite.

As we follow our narrator through her life, we meet colorful characters who provide fodder for Eva's stories, which eventually become scripts for telenovellas. There's Huberto Naranjo, street urchin grown to lead the revolution. Mimi, deeply unhappy man teaching Italian who becomes a beautiful and admired woman in all but genitalia. And so many more equally colorful, deeply human characters.

Isabel Allende was my entree into the world of magical-realism, a genre I have come to adore. And while Eva Luna is not as magical as The House of the Spirits, it still weaves a spell of improbabilities accepted as normal. ( )
1 vote AuntieClio | Jun 8, 2014 |

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Angelo MorinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then he said to Scheherazade: 'Sister, for the sake of Allah, tell us a story that will help pass the night ...'

--A Thousand and One Tales of the Arabian Nights
TO MY MOTHER,
who gave me a lot of stories
My name is Eva, which means 'life', according to a book of names my mother consulted.
La muerte no existe, la gente sólo muere cuando la olvidan; si puedes recordarme, siempre estaré contigo

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553280589, Mass Market Paperback)

An exotic dance that beguiles and entices... The enchanted and enchanting account of a  contemporary Scheherazade, a wide-eyed American  teller-of-tales who triumphs over harsh reality  through the creative power of her own imagination...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:11 -0400)

Born in the back room of the mansion where her mother toils, and herself in service from an early age, the enchanting and ever-enchanted Eva Luna escapes oppression through story telling. Rolf Carle flees Germany for South America, and ultimately works as a documentary film maker, to escape childhood memories of burying the concentration camp dead.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141045558, 0241951658

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 823 books! | Top bar: Always visible