American Operetta: From H.M.S. Pinafore to…

American Operetta: From H.M.S. Pinafore to Sweeney Todd

by Gerald Bordman

17None587,099 (3.5)None
    American Musical Theatre: A Chronicle by Gerald Bordman (GeneRuyle)
    GeneRuyle: Bordman's book on the American Operetta keeps the spotlight on the formative strands connecting European operetta to first England (where Kern had gone to study the form before returning to the U.S.), then, upon returning, recast this form in both musical style and dramatic material into what ultimately became the modern American Musical, found in his classic Showboat and all that ushered in.… (more)

No reviews
(none present)
(none present. though note the dedicatory words in the Preface quoted just below . . .)
[from the Preface:] "I'm well aware that operetta has become almost a dirty word. That saddens me. I'd rather sit through ten good operettas (unmiked and unamplified, of course) than through a musical comedy or revue. I suspect most Americans would, too, though most of them wouldn't want to call it operetta. So this book is dedicated to the proposition that until very recently we have continued to produce great new operettas, the more recent of which we have even started to revive, and that when we take the long-range view we will accept the all-too-long neglected operettas that once graced our stages and revive them as well."
"Gerald Bordman's knowledge of and affection for his subject are on every page. The book is well written and the thesis intriguing." --Stanley Green

This is a succinct tracing of the formative strands, principally European, out of which operetta arose, flourished, and then made its way through England on to the United States, there to become the full-fledged American Musical spreading into the world through both stage and film.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195028694, Hardcover)

"Provocative and artfully argued"--The Los Angeles Times. Tracing the early history of the operetta on the American stage, this lively book examines origins of the musical theater in America. Bordman examines the public response to the mid-nineteenth century importations, showing how Americans then attempted to create their own operettas. Full of details about the producers and stars of the nineteenth-century entertainment world, this book will inform and entertain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:43 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible