Peacock and Other Poems by Valerie Worth

Peacock and Other Poems

by Valerie Worth

Other authors: Natalie Babbitt (Illustrator)

I see now that all of Worth's books are very similar but since I checked it out, I read this one as well. I really think her books are prefect for the student learning poetry. The books give you tons of diversity within them and different styles to emulate. There is nothing that will blow you away, but the poems are fun and simple. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Apr 21, 2017 |
V. short book - because there are only 26 poems and most of them aren't much longer than haiku. I have loved works by Worth and Babbitt before, and there were a few interesting insights here, but most metaphors were either forced or too similar to already stale cliches. But they're pleasant little bits to share aloud as a family some rainy afternoon.

I did like the idea of a pencil as a thin gold wand" that "conjures up anything, everything."

My favorite poem was the first:

_ Prism _

Who'd dream that
A wan little wedge
Of common glass

Could pry from
The proud white sun
These jewels of color!" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Summary: This book is a collection of several short poems each on a different topic. The topics range from a peacock, to a lunchbox, to a roller coaster and everything in between. All of the poems are very short but they also each have a lot of meaning and could be interpreted in many different ways. Some of them rhymed and others did not.

Review: I really enjoyed reading these poems because even though they were short and simple they could also have a lot of complexity depending on the reader. When choosing collections for this book I chose all three age groups. The words used in the poem are easy enough for a first or second grader to read but you could use them with fifth and sixth graders by looking at things like mood, theme, and central message. This book would be a great resource to have in the classroom. I also liked the simple picture that went along with each poem. ( )
  kkerns3 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Short but to the point poems with simple artworks and awesome shading techniques by the artist. ( )
  marycha | Dec 3, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book of poems because the author took different parts of nature or subjects of everyday life and created a poem about each. Each poem described the subject very well. I would use this to teach my students about the various things in this book. Maybe read a poem each day and use the topic of that poem for other activities too. ( )
  Swelker | Sep 2, 2013 |

Valerie Worthprimary authorall editionscalculated
Babbitt, NatalieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

By the author of the Small Poems books

This new collection by Valerie Worth, conceived before her death, is sure to delight readers who know her celebrated Small Poems books, and will serve as a wonderful introduction for those first encountering her enchanting free verse. Accompanied by Natalie Babbitt’s fine pencil drawings, “Peacock” is joined by twenty-six other elegant poems by Worth about things as various as pandas and steam engines and icicles, in which, like her earlier work, she “find[s] in ordinary things Blake’s universe in a grain of sand” (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,760,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible