Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman by…

Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman (edition 2000)

by Marjorie Shostak

Member:tten
Title:Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman
Authors:Marjorie Shostak
Info:Harvard University Press (2000), Paperback, 384 pages

Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman by Marjorie Shostak

English (8)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All (10)
Nisa is an interesting collection of writings. The bulk of the book is made up of stories told to the anthropologist Marjorie from the !Kung lady Nisa. The rest of the book consists of Marjorie's ethnographic observations of the !Kung's people life and beliefs. The book is paced very well, and oftentimes Marjorie's observations prove to be just as interesting as Nisa's life is. The information is presented in a non-biased way and the points in Nisa's life that are exceptional are dutifully explained as such.

I came away from this book having enjoyed it (in spite of how long it took me to finish it.) I feel that the !Kung people did prove to be a very interesting case study - their way of life has been the way the bulk of human's lived for most of our earthly existence. I left the book a bit sad to see the way of life disappearing, especially when it boasts a decent amount of advantages over modern civilization.

So, all in all I would recommend this book to people interested in the anthropological field or the sociological field. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
women's lives is nisa telling a story or telling her life? sad change of an ancient way of life. ( )
  mahallett | Sep 24, 2017 |
The life and words of a Kung Woman. Read. Not good. No insight. Doesn't realize that the vulgar talk is because of who they have learned English.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Marjorie Shostak was an anthropologist studying the women of the !Kung hunter-gatherers on the edge of the Kalahari in the 1960's and 1970's.

This book is the result of her interviews with one of those women, Nisa It is Nisa's life story as told to Marjorie in conversations that took place over a period of many years, left off, to be taken up again during Marjorie's next visit.

What I liked best about this book is that the translation seemed to me to capture Nisa's voice and the rhythms of African oral storytelling tradition.

It was also an interesting study, and sad to see how the way of life of the !Kung, and all of the San people have changed so dramatically. ( )
1 vote bookwoman247 | Feb 28, 2012 |
Nisa is an interesting ethnography since it is only about one womans life. The writing is very good and I imagine non-anthropologists would really enjoy it as well. If you want to know everything about the !Kung tribe this book isn't really going to help you. If you want to know what it is like to be a woman in the tribe this is a great account. ( )
  Nikkles | Jul 11, 2007 |

Marjorie Shostakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nisamain authorall editionsconfirmed

This classic paperback is available once again—and exclusively—from Harvard University Press.

This book is the story of the life of Nisa, a member of the !Kung tribe of hunter-gatherers from southern Africa’s Kalahari desert. Told in her own words—earthy, emotional, vivid—to Marjorie Shostak, a Harvard anthropologist who succeeded, with Nisa’s collaboration, in breaking through the immense barriers of language and culture, the story is a fascinating view of a remarkable woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,551,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible