No Vulgar Hotel: The Desire and Pursuit of…

No Vulgar Hotel: The Desire and Pursuit of Venice

by Judith Martin, Eric Denker

Young Mrs. Ruskin in Venice; unpublished letters of Mrs. John Ruskin written from Venice between 1849-1852 by Mary Lutyens (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: It's very interesting to compare the thoughts and experiences of the Victorian Effie Ruskin with those of our modern etiquette maven and Venetophile.

didn't read, recycled.
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
"No vulgar Hotel" was a present from my husband during the Christmas prior to my first visit to Italy. By then I had already decided that I was not going to visit Venice. I wanted to avoid the turistic part of the country as much as I could and experience the real Italy. "No Vulgar Hotel" made me change opinion completely. Martin gives a very accurate depiction of modern Venice from the point of view of an outsider who's been there enough time to start undertanding the local idiosyncrasies. Her view of relationship between the city's inhabitants and it's crumbling architecture is a treasure. The fresh food culture is completely accurate, and the non longer really a tourist longings are endearing. What can I say? I ended up going to Venice, finding this book pointedly true, and enjoying every single minute of it. ( )
1 vote olgalijo | Sep 30, 2011 |
Over the years I have travelled a little, mostly for business and seldom for pleasure. Thus I have not travelled to many of the favorite locations for tourists and with books like this one I do not need to do so. Judith Martin (aka "Miss Manners") has travelled to Venice and written about that travel covering the history, aesthetics, and practical aspects of that lovely city by and on the sea.
I especially enjoyed her literary discussions in the sections entitled "Venice with Your Imaginary Friend" and "Venice Depicted". The references include Henry James's The Wings of the Dove, Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, and much more. She also discusses American expatriates including the fabulously wealthy longtime residents, the Curtis family.
I have always enjoyed the classical paintings of the artist known simply as Canaletto and Venice was one of his favorite subjects. But, I was unaware until I read Ms. Martin's book that he "was apt to rearrange buildings as if they were furniture, regularly distorting a view for balance . . ."(p 131) His desire to maintain classical balance in his paintings aside, his depictions of Venice are elegantly beautiful demonstrating his genius and the genius of his age. But there is more. From Browning's poems to Wagner's diaries the literary vision of Venice mirrors the inspiration that its' beauty expresses. There is also the cinematic Venice of film whether portrayed as romantic comedy in David Lean's Summertime (David Lean is one of my favorite directors and one of the many reasons for this is his ability to capture the essence of foreign locations from London to Moscow to Burma to the Arabia of the hero Lawrence) or in more sinister films like Don't Look Now based on DuMaurier's novel or The Comfort of Strangers adapted by Harold Pinter from Ian McEwen's novel.
The author clearly loves Venice. Doing so she does not write about it in a sense that expresses the vanguard of sophisticated opinion, for this is not a book that really breaks new ground. However it covers the old ground impeccably. It is a thoroughly delightful read for anyone even remotely interested in Venice. ( )
  jwhenderson | Aug 20, 2011 |
It's Venice, it's Miss Manners...what's not to love? ( )
  librarianarpita | Jul 8, 2007 |

Martin, Judithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Denker, Ericmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The definitive manual for the hopeless Venetophile.

Love of Venice can strike anyone, not just romantic wusses. Among the toughies with serious cases were Lord Byron, Richard Wagner, Ezra Pound, and Ernest Hemingway. Symptoms include:

Wishing that the movie stars in films set in Venice would move aside so that you can get a better view of the scenery.
Wondering why people ask if you had good weather when you were thereas if rain could dampen your love.
Thinking that people who go to Tuscany or Provence must be nuts.
Believing that the "Per San Marco" street sign with arrows pointing in opposite directions makes perfect sense.
Consoling yourself when you leave by remembering the generations of Venetian merchants who, as they were borne away from Venice, vowed to be back as soon as they had more money.

There is no cure for this affliction. This is a guide to managing it. 35 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:06 -0400)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible