On the genealogy of morals by Friedrich…

On the genealogy of morals (original 1887; edition 2006)

by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Horace Barnett Samuel

Member:GVassmer
Title:On the genealogy of morals
Authors:Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Other authors:Horace Barnett Samuel
Info:Oxford ; Oxford University Press, 2006.
Tags:NON

On the Genealogy of Morality by Friedrich Nietzsche (Author) (1887)

Clásico Nietzsche, misógino, racista, cruel. Su repertorio habitual.
Por ejemplo, hablando de los cristianos:

Among them, again, is that most loathsome species of the vain, the lying abortions, who make a point of representing "beautiful souls," and perchance of bringing to the market as "purity of heart" their distorted sensualism swathed in verses and other bandages;
the species of "self-comforters" and masturbators of their own souls. The sick man's will to represent some form or other of superiority, his instinct for crooked paths, which lead to a tyranny over the healthy.

No creo en lo que dice, demasiada filosofia he leido para que un autor en concreto me venga con dogmas. Pero hay que reconocer que estes de acuerdo o no con lo que dice, lo dice muy bien. Y por eso le doy buena puntuación. Argumentos bien hilados, lenguaje increíble, conceptos e insultos que nunca antes había escuchado.
  trusmis | Sep 28, 2018 |
The word ought has its origins in the word owe. Whether or not this relationship survives translation I don't know, but why let semantics get in the way of a good idea. Reading Beyond Good and Evil before attempting this follow-up work would be the more logical option. But I doubt one can simply dip one's toe in to Nietzsche anyway - it is a case of diving in head first and trying to make sense of the turmoil. Nietzsche's racism reflects the tone of the times, and there is plenty of conflicting views to support the argument that his sister re-construed his work to fit comfortably with the Nazis. But in the end I felt Nietzsche's racism was as relevant to Nazism as Jack London's. It is interesting that he seems to support women's rights (remembering that J.S. Mill's On the Subjection of Women was published 18 years before), planes the edges off his Orientalism with Buddhism and Brahmanism, and doesn't appear so overjoyed at the "death of God" as Atheist's gleefully point out. Indeed, Nietzsche makes a point of saying that science is a more advanced form of the "ascetic ideal". The back cover of the work sums up Nietzsche's thesis as "culture and morality, rather than being eternal verities, are human-made". This is an oversimplification that reduces the depth of his work. Far be it for me to be an apologist for Nietzsche - the "intellectual" gatekeepers would never let such work be published today - but the brilliance is in its originality. To comprehend the thesis adequately, prior reading of Buddhism, Luther, Brahmanism, Kant, Spinoza, Goethe, Feuerbach, and Schopenhauer would be helpful but is not essential. However, a knowledge of the classics (at least Plato) is important. Nietzsche final words are that "man will wish Nothingness rather than not wish at all". I immediately thought of the maxim "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail". Probably the most useful idea from this work is that one needs to go back to first principles in establishing a philosophy - does or can truth exist? - (and even if we don't care to consciously develop a philosophy, the shepherds of the "herd mentality" will provide one for us without our knowledge or consent), and Nietzsche does so by regularly referring back to "Heracleitus" and Hesiod. I have already picked up the scent of the pre-Socratics and their importance in understanding the human-created chasm between philosophy and religion (and more recently, but less convincingly, between science and religion), and Nietzsche confirms this clue. Rather than the über-power of pre-Enlightenment Christian church and its priesthood driving the herd, Nietzsche foresaw ("forsooth"?) the pluralism of modern asceticism (which annoys me on Facebook, Twitter, and the news media any time I look). Admittedly, he was optimistic about this future, but then he didn't know what "the Internet" would say about him (how I loathe that saying!). So why don't I see the ascetic for what it is and just get off Facebook once again? Well. it's the guilt, you see. But you can't blame me - I didn't create it (Facebook or the guilt). ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
  OberlinSWAP | Aug 1, 2015 |
A book of 3 essays. Almost stopped reading after introduction. Then again half way through first essay. Found a few statements interesting in first 2 essays.
Found third essay a bit more interesting.
Neitzsche mentions becoming more Chinese. Also shutting down animal aspects of humans and hibernating, internalizing instincts. I wonder how Nietzsche exercised. ( )
  Michael.Bradham | Feb 9, 2014 |
Gonzo Review:

Calling this book full of bullshit "philosophy" is an insult to every good philosopher that I have ever read. Nietzsche doesn't get a single thing right and he's fucking proud of it.

Nietzsche avoids any real ethics like Utilitarianism and even the stuff by Kant and just builds himself a strawman based on Jewish and Christian Tradition and weird artificial ascetics that nobody ever talks about. You get the idea that Nietzsche just wanted to rant about something his pussy-mind couldn't bear and set off writing his delirium off his soul.

Truth is, Nietzsche always tried to promote the homo superior and always failed to live up to it. His life is so full of contradictions Hegel would immediately have jerked off on his works. Nietzsche promoted eating meat because the homo superior would and over every steak he nearly cried. He never could handle women at all. He was just a whimsy stupid jerk.

If you want real philosophy on ethics, go read up Utilitarianism and don't really bother about Nietzsche. He was just all too full of himself.

Category: Hatred ( )
  Morizon | Jul 29, 2013 |

Nietzsche, FriedrichAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graftdijk, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kluinis, ArnisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krūmiņš, JānisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarpitti, Michael A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Preface: Genealogy
We are unknown to ourselves, we men of knowledge—and with good reason. We have never sought ourselves—how could it happen that we should ever find ourselves?
On the Genealogy of Morals

These English psychologists, whom one has also to thank for the only attempts hitherto to arrive at a history of the origin of morality—they themselves are no easy riddle; I confess that, as living riddles, they even possess one essential advantage over their books—they are interesting!
Preface: Ecce Homo
Seeing that before long I must confront humanity with the most difficult demand ever made of it, it seems indispensable to me to say who I really am.
Ecce Homo

The Good fortune of my existence, its uniqueness perhaps, lies in its fatality: I am, to express it in the form of a riddle, already dead as my father, while as my mother I am still living and becoming old.
Opera filosofica scritta e pubblicata nel 1887. Scritta con l'intenzione di accentuare la portata di "Di là dal bene e dal male" è composta di tre saggi, intitolati: "Buono e malvagio, buono e cattivo", "Colpa, cattiva coscienza e affini", "Che cosa significano gli ideali scettici?". Nel primo N. tratta dell'essenza e dell'origine del Cristianesimo; nel secondo la coscienza è riconosciuta non come la voce di Dio nell'uomo, ma come l'istinto della crudeltà che si ripiega su se stesso dopo che non ha potuto sfogarsi esteriormente. Nel terzo N. trova la spiegazione della potenza, da lui considerata negativamente, dell'ideale ascetico-religioso nel fatto che questa forma di disciplina era l'unica, "fino a Zarathustra", che fosse proposta agli uomini.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0872202836, Paperback)

On the Genealogy of Morality contains some of Nietzsche's most disturbing ideas and images: eg the 'slave revolt' in morality, which he claims began with the Jews and has now triumphed, and the 'blond beast' that must erupt, which he claims to find behind all civilisation. It is therefore a major source for understanding why 'Nietzschean' ideas are controversial. Further, it is one of Nietzsche's most important books, a work of his maturity that shows him at the height of his powers both as a thinker and as an artist in the presentation of ideas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:18 -0400)

Written in response to a book on the origins of morality by his erstwhile friend Paul Re, the three essays comprising The Genealogy of Morals - all three advancing the critique of Christian morality set forth in Beyond Good and Evil - are among Nietzsche's most sustained and cohesive work. In the first essay - starting from a linguistic analysis of words such as "good," "bad," and "evil" - Nietzsche sets up a contrast between what he calls "master" morality and "slave" morality and shows how strength and action have often been replaced by passivity and nihilism. The next essay, looking into the origins of guilt and punishment, shows how the concept of justice was born - and how internalization of this concept led to the development of what people called "the soul." In the third essay, Nietzsche dissects the meaning of ascetic ideals. It is not Nietzsche's intention to reject ascetic ideals, "slave" morality, or internalized values out of hand; his main concern is to show that culture and morality, rather than being eternal verities, are human-made. Whether or not you agree with all of his conclusions, his writing is of such clarity and brilliance that you will find reading The Genealogy of Morals nothing short of exhilarating.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,572,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible