Voyagers by Ben Bova

Voyagers (original 1981; edition 1985)

by Ben Bova

Series: Voyagers (1)

Member:battlinjack
Title:Voyagers
Authors:Ben Bova
Info:Bantam Books (1985), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:My Library, Science Fiction, Series, Your library
Tags:Science Fiction

Voyagers by Ben Bova (1981)

First of a series, can't wait to see if the Americans and the Soviets join together to go after the alien ship before it leaves the solar system (don't tell me for those who have read it all). I was thoroughly entertained by this book. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
It’s easy to see why this book didn’t win any awards!
- The writing is pedestrian (though maybe that doesn’t matter – it is a thriller, after all)
- The plot line is … well there isn’t one really. A strange object is detected in orbit around Jupiter; some people think it is a comet (although a comet that can orbit Jupiter then change course for earth would be very unusual comet!); others think it is an alien spaceship and want to investigate it. The whole story is taken up with political and scientific machinations about whether or not to launch a manned mission to intercept it.
- The sex scenes / love interest have all the depth and maturity of a male menopausal masturbatory fantasy (I mean .. long legged buxom females who throw themselves at forty-something professors … puh-lease!!). The sexual politics (women who sleep their way to the top, men who are gullible enough to be manipulated by a beautiful woman) would have had all the freshness and insight of your average dinosaur even in 1980!
- The political stuff is cold war politics, so seems very dated now. The US military want to keep it a secret; the Russians are determined to get there first and are willing to blow up both the object and their own spacecraft if necessary to foil the Americans (no stereotypes here, then!).

On the good side, I did enjoy the development of some of the major characters – the Russian linguist Markoff (forgive me if I spelt that wrong, I had the audio version), for example and his growing friendship with Stoner.

Basically, it’s a little boy book. Not recommended for intelligent women who like sci-fi. ( )
  hashford | Feb 11, 2012 |
  kattykathy | Apr 15, 2007 |

Ben Bovaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, FrankCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Either we are alone or we are not; either way is mind boggling.
LEE DURBRIDGE
Nothing is too wonderful to be true.
MICHAEL FARADAY
The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
To Kathy and Bob, who care about the
important things.
Professor Ramsey McDermott leaned back in his creaking old leather chair and idly looked out his office window.

Stoner knew the fiery object hurtling toward the Earth was an alien spacecraft. But the world might never know. He was trapped in an iron cordon of secrecy, for the discovery had shattered the world power balance, setting off a brutal struggle for supremacy that raged from the sacred halls of the Vatican to the corridors of the Kremlin and the Pentagon. The forces of fear and treachery would use any weapon at their command, from mind war to sabotage, to keep the world in darkness.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible