You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or…

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book… (1993)

by Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo (Author)

Recently added byazurelion, Leonardo.Galvao, private library, karenw215, cbaier67, aron124, wjj333, cdiemert, INorris

Updated 08/16/2015

What you will find:
Start with page 4, "How to Read this Book". The book has 16 Chapters - do not stress out ADD/ADHD readers! There are nice large headings and organized topics that the reader can just bounce to and independently of the surrounding content.

Chapters 1-4 are about awareness and diagnosis.
Chapters 5-10 deal with social and cultural issues including gender and sexual issues.
Chapters 11-15 discuss mental processing and coping skills
Chapter 16 provides a guide on ways for ADD/ADHD readers to begin to take action
Included are: Web based resources, print resources, and a good index

The books is promoted within the "self help" genre. With that in mind, it is a relief that the authors derive their narrative from a sense of community instead of the cult of personality of the authors. Kelly and Ramundo both openly report their own ADD, are educated, and active in the ADD community. There is a clear path that the authors' provide to the collective experience and research in the ADD/ADHD community even if this is not a scholarly work. The resources offered in the book are reputable and useful.

This book is set up for ADD/ADHD readers as a tool rather than demanding readers to follow the authors in a linear track. "You mean I'm Not Lazy..." reads more like a guide and allows the reader to maintain self determination in regard to its contents.

Why 4 stars?
This book does reveal the authors' understanding of how their work fits within the field; however it is reasonable to ask the authors to do more to bring in resources with more scientific research to back up their claims. It is clear that the references are presented as resources rather than demonstrating scholarly research methods. I limited the deduction to one star because the contents of the book are good for the self-help genre. But, like we are asking for better food labeling, I want to see better research when it comes to the care of our mental/psychological health.
[For a book comparison, see my 1/2 star review of Embracing A.D.D. by Lynn Weiss, PhD. at http://www.librarything.com/work/16155565/reviews/120329397]

After years of half-joking about having an attention disorder, I finally started looking for a good resource for adults with ADD/ADHD. Kelly and Ramundo's book is the first one that really reached me and made sense. Two years after reading the book, I was formally diagnosed while working on my first graduate degree and I have kept this book as a helpful and practical resource. ( )
1 vote scootorian | Oct 3, 2013 |
Very helpful, practical coping ideas. I don't have ADD, but bought the book because I have cognition problems. Got lots of great information. ( )
1 vote butterflyknit | Aug 13, 2008 |
I read this book many years ago, and found it helpful, although I'm not sure it entirely applies to me. (I don't think I have ADD). I do think it's a good book on the subject, though. ( )
1 vote herebedragons | Feb 2, 2007 |

Kate Kellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ramundo, PeggyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
this book is dedicated to my partner and soulmate, Paul Ravenscraft. He is the answer to a prayer for one who shares my vision of life as a spiritual journey. Namaste, Paul. -- Kate Kelly

I dedicate this book to: Mom and Pop Eliezer, Roger, Nona and Noni, Uncle Bill, Bill and Julie.
You have less his earthly plane I miss you. Though I can't see or touch you anymore, I hope each of you in my heart-your memory lovingly wrapped and carried forever in my soul. Peggy Ramundo

With over a quarter million copies in print, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! is one of the bestselling books on attention deficit disorder (ADD) ever written. There is a great deal of literature about children with ADD. But what do you do if you have ADD and aren't a child anymore? This indispensable reference -- the first of its kind written for adults with ADD by adults with ADD -- focuses on the experiences of adults, offering updated information, practical how-tos and moral support to help readers deal with ADD. It also explains the diagnostic process that distinguishes ADD symptoms from normal lapses in memory, lack of concentration or impulsive behavior. Here's what's new: The new medications and their effectiveness The effects of ADD on human sexuality The differences between male and female ADD -- including falling estrogen levels and its impact on cognitive functionThe power of meditationHow to move forward with coaching And the book still includes advice about: Achieving balance by analyzing one's strengths and weaknesses Getting along in groups, at work and in intimate and family relationships -- including how to decrease discord and chaosLearning the mechanics and methods for getting organized and improving memory Seeking professional help, including therapy and medication

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

This indispensible reference--the first of its kind written for adults with ADD by adult with ADD--focuses on the experiences of adults, offering updated information, practical how-tos and moral support to help readers deal with ADD. It also explains the diagnostic process that distinguishes ADD symptoms from normal lapses in memory, lack of concentration or impulsive behavior.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,804,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible