The Captain Must Die by Robert Colby

by Robert Colby

201515,329 (3.67)1
Recently added byDaveWilde, Addams95, Kajola, ChewDigest, Booklover889
Legacy LibrariesErnest Hemingway
2012 (1) 2012f (1) c (1) checked (1) crime (1) DRM (1) DRM epub (1) ebook (6) epub (1) fiction (3) freebie (2) have-but-not-read (1) K (1) Kindle (2) mystery (3) nook (3) not free sf reader (1) own (1) prologue-books (1) revenge (1) to-read (3) unread (1) untagged (1) upload 4b (1) upload5 (1)

I was fascinated to see that this book was in Ernest Hemingway's library--but of course, that doesn't mean he had read it. Who wants a library with nothing but books you've already read?

I remember Colby mainly from his stories in the various Alfred Hitchcock anthologies, and years ago, I read his book "Murder Times Five", which I don't recall being as good as this one. This is a truly nasty tale of three ex-Servicemen who plan to rob and kill their Captain after 12 years. Why they have to wait 12 years, you'll have to read the book to find out, as I don't want to provide any spoilers. Colby effectively delivers the back story in segments as his focus shifts between the ex-Captain, now a wealthy businessman, his wife, and the three men who are out to get him. The focus of the story isn't on the plotting of the crimes, though these are detailed well enough, but on the thought processes of all the main characters. Colby delivers a lot of psychological explanations here - and many of them ring true, at least to someone of my stunted emotional development! This rather short book holds your attention throughout and delivers a hell of an ending. Recommended. ( )
  datrappert | Jan 24, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,465,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible