Just Me and My Dad by Mercer Mayer

Just Me and My Dad (1975)

by Mercer Mayer

Somehow I never minded reading these over and over again to my kids. I guess because LC is just a little naughty/ impulsive, but also lovable, w/good intentions. Something like Ramona Quimby, Clementine, and my kids. This one was a little sappier than some. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
When reading this book, it seems as though the main character is afraid of his dad for most of the reading. The little boy continuously tries to impress his father on the camping trip they take together. He wants everything to go according to plan and when it doesn't the little boy becomes upset. I gained a more in depth perception of the book when I went back and viewed the expression on the father's face. I believe that the theme of this book is that parents, especially father's will love their children no matter what the circumstance. The boy had tried many times to impress his father, failing every single time. Looking back on the facial expressions of the father, you can tell he loves his son regardless of the failed impressions. I would recommend this book to a Pre-k class in order to help them gain a perspective on what love between father and child should be like. ( )
  mbabst | Feb 1, 2015 |
This is a cute childrens book and I enjoyed it! This book is a great book for young boys because it is about an adventure of a father and son gone camping. They go hiking, fishing, set up a tent, and tell stories to each other. This could also be read by a daughter who can relate to these things that she may do with her own father. I also liked this book because I feel as if most childrens books forget to include the father in it. Many that I have read include the mother being there for the child, or helping her daughter or son, while you rarely ever see one where the father is the main guardian. I liked that this was different, and think that this can be a really great book for a father to read to his own child. Lastly, I loved the bright illustrations and that they were humorous at times as well. Whenever the son would make a mistake or do something wrong you could tell by the expression on his fathers face in the illustration. And no matter how many mistakes he made, his father still loved him! The main idea of this book was to show the father-son relationship, and the love between them or family. ( )
  margan1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Cute book about camping. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 28, 2014 |
This is a story about a boy and his dad going on a camping trip. The story is narrated by the boy and told from his perspective of the camping trip. The story portrays through illustration what really happens on the camping trip.

I really enjoyed the comedy in this book. The boy is telling the story as if the camping trip was no big deal and very low key, when the pictures tell a very different story. The real excitement in this story takes place in the illustrations and must be considered carefully to get a good understanding of the actual events that took place on the camping trip. Having been on many camping trips with my family as a child, I know there are always lots of stories to tell and it’s the terribly funny things that go wrong that make the camping trip all the more memorable. For instance, the dog my sister and I thought was a wolf that stole our chicken we were preparing for dinner. Oh yes, good times.

1. This would be a great way to introduce the power of illustrations. Students could write a short story and use illustrations to tell the behind the scenes action.
2. This a great book for talking about family. This would be a good jumping off place for students to write about something they have done with someone in their family.
  msmarymac | Jan 31, 2014 |
We went camping, just me and my dad.

This well-loved Little Critter picture book has become a modern classic. It's the tale of a father-and-son camping trip filled with Little Critter's mistakes and good intentions. In spite of difficulties, however, the happy father and son manage to put up their tent, catch fish for dinner, and sleep beneath the stars. In spite of minimal text, the story is full and rich, with endearing illustrations from start to finish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:57 -0400)

Father and son go camping, but who is really taking care of whom?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible