Just Me and My Dad by Mercer Mayer

Just Me and My Dad (1975)

by Mercer Mayer

This is a story about a boy and his dad going on a camping trip. The story is narrated by the boy and told from his perspective of the camping trip. The story portrays through illustration what really happens on the camping trip.

I really enjoyed the comedy in this book. The boy is telling the story as if the camping trip was no big deal and very low key, when the pictures tell a very different story. The real excitement in this story takes place in the illustrations and must be considered carefully to get a good understanding of the actual events that took place on the camping trip. Having been on many camping trips with my family as a child, I know there are always lots of stories to tell and it’s the terribly funny things that go wrong that make the camping trip all the more memorable. For instance, the dog my sister and I thought was a wolf that stole our chicken we were preparing for dinner. Oh yes, good times.

1. This would be a great way to introduce the power of illustrations. Students could write a short story and use illustrations to tell the behind the scenes action.
2. This a great book for talking about family. This would be a good jumping off place for students to write about something they have done with someone in their family.
  msmarymac | Jan 31, 2014 |
This cute story about this little creature and his dad that spend time together and go fishing.
  raul-lakes | Dec 16, 2013 |
Part of Mercer Mayers' immensely popular series of picture-books featuring the "Little Critter" - this character, which always looks a bit like a shaggy guinea pig to me, debuted in 1975, in Just for You, and has now featured in over two hundred titles - Just Me and My Dad follows the Little Critter as he and his father take to the woods for a night of camping. Narrated from the son's perspective, it details their many (mis)adventures, from setting up a tent to fishing in the nearby stream, concluding with the statement: "We slept in our tent all night long - just me and my dad."

Chosen as one of our June selections, over in The Picture-Book Club to which I belong, where our theme this month is "fathers," Just Me and My Dad is a sweet little father-son story, with a humorous disconnect between artwork and text. The Little Critter clearly imagines that he is in charge, and is leading his father, while the illustrations make it plain that Dad is quietly addressing all the problems that arise. I never really became a fan of this series, as a girl, although I was well aware of its existence, so I'm glad that The Picture-Book Club chose this one, as it gave me the opportunity to sample a representative storyline. Well worth checking out, especially if you are looking for children's stories featuring the father-son relationship! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
This well-loved Little Critter picture book has become a modern classic. It's the tale of a father-and-son camping trip filled with Little Critter's mistakes and good intentions. In spite of difficulties, however, the happy father and son manage to put up their tent, catch fish for dinner, and sleep beneath the stars. In spite of minimal text, the story is full and rich, with endearing illustrations from start to finish.
  clwalker | Jun 13, 2012 |
We went camping, just me and my dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:57 -0400)

Father and son go camping, but who is really taking care of whom?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,541,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible