Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book)…

Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (1990)

by Mercer Mayer

This is a story about a critter who spends the day with his mother. I absolutely love books by Mercer Mayer. I remember reading this book as a child. The illustrations are great and it is easy for a young child to read. This book is great for a young child because it is rather short and will grasp their attention because it is easy for a young child to relate to the story. I highly recommend this book to an early reader! ( )
1 vote ChelseaHopton | Oct 10, 2012 |
Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter enjoys a special day in the city with his mother. Little Critter means well, but he gets himself in trouble all along the way. His mother is oh so patient when Critter loses the train tickets, picks up a dinosaur egg in the natural history museum, and misbehaves at lunch. In spite of his difficulties, Little Critter falls asleep happily on the train going home, exhausted from the big outing with his mother.
  clwalker | Jun 13, 2012 |
Little Critter and his mom have a day on the town, visiting the museum and the aquarium and the mall, with a quick trip in a fancy restaurant and a real lunch at a hot dog cart. They take the train there and back, with Little Critter crashing into sleep on the way home. I continue to love this series. The text is simple, which means it can keep the attention of my two-year-old as I read to her. Yet even though Mayer keeps the story small and economical, he inserts a lot of humor in his words. For instance, the way Little Critter has to hold his mom's hand so she won't be scared, and his innocent naivete in not understanding why the museum curator doesn't want him holding fragile dinosaur eggs or why the aquarium docent kicks them out because his pet frog jumps in the fish tank. Mayer truly captures a child's perspective in his series.

The pictures are a treat, too. Very cute, with lots of details in every illustration that will delight the careful reader. It's fun to keep track of his pet frog's antics. As a new mom, I loved the expressions on his mother's face: tired, exasperated, proud, and always loving. I've had many a trip to the museum or aquarium or restaurants myself - but never in one day, that would be just too much! - so I can appreciate how wonderful yet exhausting such adventures are with your children. This is a sweet story which I plan on reading many more times to all my children. ( )
1 vote nmhale | May 5, 2011 |
Just me and my mom is a story about a little boy beaver and his mom. They spend the day together in the city and he’s constantly causing trouble; although he doesn’t think so. He loses the tickets for the train, got kicked out of the museum for touching too much, ran away from his mother at the aquarium, they were kicked out of a restaurant, went shopping then back home. By the end of the day, he was exhausted and couldn’t stay awake for the train ride home.
My son and I are often doing everything together since my husband is always working. My son does the same types of things, he thinks he’s helping but really just getting in the way and causing trouble. I think all kids go through this stage because they don’t understand when to just stand back and listen; they want to be involved with everything. This book deals with animal fantasy where the animals actually talk. Preposterous situations are also mentioned when the little boy grabs the dinosaur egg and it begins to crack. Kids love modern fantasy books and movies because it takes them to an imaginary world.
This book could be used to read aloud to kids and also a great bedtime story. I plan to read this book to my son right before we start a day of adventure; it could teach him about staying out of trouble when out with mommy. After reading this book in a classroom setting, the teacher could ask the students to create a story about a day out with a parent, friend or grandparent. This would be great for practicing writing skills.
  Dondra | Apr 3, 2011 |
Summary: The little boy in this book gets to experience a day in a big city with his mother. There is trouble though because he either doesn't know how to read or simply doesn't read the posted signs nor is he give guidance from his mother. The story ends by the mom completeing task that the son was previously allowed to do. It's a day of new experiences and new challenges.

Personal Reflection: I felt bad for this little boy. His mom takes him to this big city and she is introducing him to new experiences and new freedoms that he clearly has not had before. The things that happened and reactions of all involved were expected. I think I could make good use of this book in discussing the importance of rules and slowly gaining/earnning new freedoms.

Classroom Extentions:
1) Read this book and then discuss and set class rules for a field trip.
2) Read this book and then discuss proposed changes to the class rules.
3) Journal about a special day with a parent or other relative. Include new things you were aloud to do, new experiences, new places, and your feelings. If no such experience use your imagination and tell your own story about who you would like to spend a special day with and what kind of new experience you would like to have with them. How do you think it would go?
  aduckwiler | Feb 22, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030712584X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Little critter and his mother take a trip to the city exploring the department stores and museums.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible