The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie…

The Scandal of the Season: A Novel

by Sophie Gee

English (20)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (24)
Hands up, anyone else who hasn’t read Alexander Pope’s The Rape of the Lock? Not just me then. Thank heavens. Mind you, you don’t really need to have read it in order to enjoy this fictionalised account of its creation. Gee brings late Stuart London to life in all its snobbish splendour: here are the coffee houses, the levees and masquerades, the self-obsessed glittering mass of the nobility and the hungry throng of writers snapping at their heels. One of these, hungrier and more ambitious than the rest, is a young Catholic poet named Alexander Pope, who has come to London hoping to make his name...

For the rest of the review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2016/12/05/the-scandal-of-the-season-sophie-gee/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 14, 2016 |
Alexander Pope and 'The Rape of the Lock'.

I enjoyed the flavour of the early eighteenth century in this novel; the decadent rich and the wannabes, but the story itself was a bit thin and the ending was disappointing. Having said that, the audiobook was the perfect entertainment for long periods in traffic jams. Cameron Stewart's narration was good (though his womens' voices were a bit painful!) and the narrative didn't require too much concentration.

The central character is Alexander Pope, a poet who is, according to Wikipedia, 'Famous for his use of the heroic couplet and the second-most frequently quoted writer in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, after Shakespeare.'
Pope is in London hoping to find inspiration for a poem that will make his name. He is mixing in wealthy circles on the back of his two published works. His circle is a bit of a cast of thousands who I struggled to remember, but it is the relationship that develops between Arabella Fermor and Lord Petre that provides the romance and Lord Petre's involvement with a Jacobite plot to kill the queen, that provides the intrigue.

I wouldn't particularly recommend this book and I'm glad that I had it in audio, but if you're a fan of Alexander Pope it could be worth reading. ( )
  DubaiReader | Nov 18, 2015 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-h6
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-h6 ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 4, 2014 |
I can't get into this. The writing is not great, and the POV jumps around too much.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
I had somehow missed being taught "the Rape of the lock" in my English classes over the years. This novel was essentially a light, though well-written period romance - that just happened to be based on the poem. The result is that I read the 1712 edition of the poem - conveniently reprinted at the end of the novel - to myself aloud. And really enjoyed it. ( )
  nhcoffin | Apr 1, 2012 |
"What dire offence from am'rous causes springs,
What mighty contests rise from trivial things"
Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock
For my father, Christopher Gee 1941-2003 With love.
The noise could be heard streets away.

London, 1711. As the rich, young offspring of the city's most fashionable families þll their days with masquerade balls and clandestine court-ships, Arabella Fermor and Robert, Lord Petre, lead the pursuit of pleasure. B eautiful and vain, Arabella is a clever coquette with a large circle of beaux. Lord Petre, 7th Baron of Ingatestone, is a man-about-town with his choice of mistresses. Drawn together by an overpowering attraction, the two begin an illicit affair.
Alexander Pope, sickly and nearly penniless, is peripheral by birth, yet his uncommon wit and ambition gain him unlikely entrance into high society. Once there, privy to every nuance and drama, he is a ruthless observer. He longs for the success that will cement his place in society; all he needs is one poem grand enough to make his reputation.

As the forbidden passion between Arabella and Lord Petre deepens, an intrigue of a darker nature threatens to overtake them. Fortunes change and reputations -- even lives -- are imperiled. In the aftermath, Pope discovers the idea for a daring poem that will catapult him to fame and fortune.
From Amazon.com.

A tale based on the early eighteenth-century scandal that inspired Alexander Pope's "The Rape of the Lock" finds an impoverished Alexander Pope gaining entry into society and following a forbidden affair between the rakish Lord Petre and the coquettish Arabella.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible