The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk by Greg Pak

The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk

by Greg Pak, Gary Frank (Illustrator), Aaron Lopresti (Illustrator), Carlo Pagulayan (Illustrator)

It starts like Gladiator and then becomes more like Robin Hood. Then there has to be a lame plot twist to ruin the happy ending to set up the next story line. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Hulk gets humbled and forced to start from square one on an alien planet. Things move briskly and the developments are fast and furious. Enjoyed it much more than the WORLD WAR HULK arc that followed.
  BK138 | Mar 23, 2013 |
I haven't followed any storylines in the Marvel Universe for many years and on a whim picked this collection up. I'm very pleased that I did. Some of the more prominent heroes in the Marvel canon decide to remove the Hulk from Earth before his anger can hurt anyone. They trick him onto a ship and rocket him into space. The ship gets sucked into a portal and the Hulk finds himself enslaved and weakened. He becomes a messiah figure to the downtrodden much to his chagrin. The Hulk may find happiness, love, and companionship or he might become a Worldbreaker. It's well worth the money or trip to the library to find out. ( )
  MarcusH | May 3, 2011 |
An epic science-fiction adventure that truly belongs in the pantheon of all-time great fantasy literature, terrifically spinning all of the classic elements of the genre (love, adventure, destiny, faith, war) into a superb read. I never even really liked the Hulk as a character until I encountered this magnificent work of art - one of the best graphic novels of all time as well. ( )
  mikemillertime | Jul 7, 2010 |
I tend to dislike universe-wide crossover events, which is the reason that I'd been avoiding Planet Hulk for a while now. But I decided to take the plunge after reading a "What If" comic involving Planet Hulk, and I was glad that I did.

The Illuminati, tiring of the menace that the Hulk presents to the world and seeing the opportunity to be rid of him, send him off to a planet that is uninhabited by intelligent life. Unfortunately, the Hulk's ship veers off course, and he lands on a world that is much like ancient Rome. Hulk, enslaved by the cruel emperor, is forced to battle for his freedom like a gladiator, and he makes friends along the way.

I've heard that the plot is very similar to the movie The Gladiator. I've never seen the movie, so I can't comment about that, but I can see some similarities between this story and Spartacus' revolt. The art is good, and I like the cast of secondary characters, especially Miek and No-Name.

***there are spoilers below this***

That said, I thought that the story ended very abruptly. Of course, we knew that Hulk would not have a happy ending; that seems to be impossible for any comic book character, especially one such as the Hulk. He finds a woman who accepts him as the Hulk, even his "puny Banner" side, and she has to die. Of course.

But what I don't understand is WHY his wife died. She's able to turn herself into stone; she's survived explosions and fires and being hurled into the air by the Hulk without so much as a scratch, but when it was convenient (or, perhaps, necessary) for her to die, she died in an explosion. It's never explained why she was vulnerable to that explosion when she had survived others. Was the intensity greater? I don't get it.

***end of spoilers***

It's a good story for the most part, but it ultimately left me unsatisfied. ( )
  schatzi | Jun 4, 2010 |

Greg Pakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frank, GaryIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lopresti, AaronIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pagulayan, CarloIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785120122, Paperback)

Savage alien planet! Oppressed barbarian tribes! Corrupt emperor! Deadly woman warrior! Gladiators and slaves! Battle axes and hand blasters! Monsters and heroes... and the Incredible Hulk! Let the smashing commence! This deluxe hardcover collects the entire "Planet Hulk" saga, plus extras! Collects Incredible Hulk #92-105, Giant-Size Hulk #1, "Mastermind Excello" story from Amazing Fantasy #15, maps, character designs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

The Incredible Hulk, exiled into outer space, becomes enslaved on the planet Sakaar which is ruled by the Red King, and eventually becomes the gladiator known as Green Scar, uniting his fellow fighters to start a revolution to help change their world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible