Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by…

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Beth Hensperger, Julie Kaufmann

Member:ryvre
Title:Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook
Authors:Beth Hensperger
Other authors:Julie Kaufmann
Info:Harvard Common Press (2005), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:nonfiction, cookbook

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger (2005)

Didn't get a chance to make too much from this. My one quibble just from skimming recipes is that most of them fall into 6 hours or so (many quite a bit less) of cooking, which doesn't work for me on weekdays. That, and if I'm using the slow cooker, it means I'm feeling LAZY (and/or are trying to cook before work), so I can't handle a whole lot of pre-prep.

All that said, I made chili, and it was DELICIOUS. Also appreciated the tip of "poaching" frozen chicken for use later. (Would cook a little less time (was almost overdone at 6 hours), maybe add some Johnny's Seasoning Salt to the broth.)

Definitely want to get my own copy to try out more recipes. ( )
  epersonae | Mar 30, 2013 |
I got a slow cooker after my son was born but I didn't really know what to do with it. This cookbook has shown me that a slow cooker is good for cooking a lot more than just soup, stew and meatballs. I now use mine to make stock, tomato sauce and beans. While not every recipe I've tried has been successful, this cookbook has helped me learn how to use my slow cooker in more ways than I thought possible and improvise recipes for it. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 26, 2012 |
Iove this series of cookbooks! ( )
  LisaNut | Jul 22, 2011 |
Yes, this was the slow cooker cookbook I was looking for. Real food. Most of the ingredients, I can get. (And the others are very California specific.) The authors treat their readers as other cooks - they encourage using the recipes creatively. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Nov 15, 2009 |
I love this book. With a larger than average family and busy life, I need the help of my slow-cooker. But I hate the expense & lack of nutritional value in the cream soup recipes that seems to dominate most slow cooker cookbooks. I paid full price for this book (a rarity, if you know me), and it was worth every penny! ( )
  SadieGrace94 | Jun 23, 2007 |
For Agra: Thank you for sharing your
understanding of the cosmos that flows through you,
dear friend and gentle heart.
--BH
. . .
For Ben, who supports me in everything I do
--JK

Featuring more than 350 recipes for the slow cooker, this guide to an American classic includes instructions for preparing Orange and Honey Chicken Drumsticks, Country Ribs with Onions, Apples and Sauerkraut, Duck Breasts with Port Wine Sauce, and much, much more.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,025,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible