Whisker of Evil: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery by…

Whisker of Evil: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Rita Mae Brown

Member:Shaundra7210
Title:Whisker of Evil: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery
Authors:Rita Mae Brown
Info:Bantam (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:animals, favorite-series, female-lead, fiction, murder, myst-cat, myst-dog, mystery, own, prd-2000-prsnt, series, to-read

Whisker of Evil by Rita Mae Brown (2004)

Enjoyed this read. Tight plot, good characters and the pace was right. You did get a hint of who might have done it, or rather I had a suspicion but couldn't quite put my finger on it till it was revealed. Felt is was a good use of my reading time and I wanted to get back to it each time I put it down. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
This is the only book in the series that I have read. I liked the fact that I didn't feel lost in the book; characters and relationships were explained from previous books, but without so much detail that I felt bogged down.

It was a pretty slow going. I enjoyed the animal chatting, but did not like the way that the book bolded and italicized the text that they spoke (making my eyes instantly jump to that text when I turned a page). The animals also seemed a bit arrogant.

I'm not really a mystery fan, so I'm not shocked that I didn't appreciate this book that much. I read it for a book group that I run at the library. I likely won't pick up another for personal reading.0 ( )
1 vote kimreadthis | Apr 14, 2011 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. I fugure it's because a didn't start with the first book of the series. Way too many charcaters to keep track of and all the horse talk became tiring. It was an okay read. ( )
1 vote r0ckcandy | Apr 9, 2009 |
#12 in the series featuring Mary Minor “Harry” Harristeen and her cats Mrs. Murphy and Pewter and her Welsh Corgi, Tucker. This book opens with Harry finding Barry Monteith, a horse breeder and neighbor, dying, with his throat ripped out in what is assumed to be a wild animal attack. Later, it’s determined that it wasn’t—he was killed by human hands and a knife, but the odd thing is, the autopsy also reveals that he had rabies. Since Barry essentially dies in Harry’s arms, she’s quite shaken and her life goes topsy-turvy when the word of rabies gets out—first in Barry, and then in his business partner who ends up dying from it. The animal control officer, who begins to doggedly investigate the rabies also ends up dead—shot in the head—hours after telling Harry and the Postmaster that according to regulations she can no longer have her animals with her at the Post Office. I always enjoy these books, but this entry in the series was a little darker than some and slightly off-kilter, but that’s possibly due to Harry’s changing circumstances. I spotted the bad guy right away again, but wasn’t sure why the murders were committed until further along as the clues fell into place. Still, a mostly light, enjoyable listen, easy to concentrate on while unpacking and sorting and such. ( )
1 vote Spuddie | Mar 6, 2009 |
Another great read. This is my fourth or fifth book in this series. I really enjoy the characters especially the animals. Having a corgi and two cats myself, I am always amused by how well the author depicts and interprets the behavior of her animals. It makes one look at one's own animals in a different light.

Being a clergyman, I did pick up on one inaccuracy in her description of her pastor's vestments. Not that it made a hill of beans to the story. It is just something I noted. She describes in two places what is typically called a stole as a surplice. A surplice is a white short garment worn overtop of a cassock. It typically has short billowing sleeves and is waist length. A stole on the other hand is the cloth that drapes over the neck and is usually the color of the season and may have religious symbols embroidered in it. It a stole that she refers to when she is describing her pastor's colorful and ornately decorated surplice. ( )
  padre2 | Apr 25, 2008 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Barry Monteith was still breathing when Harry found him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582860, Mass Market Paperback)

A mysterious death in a Virginia farm town has the locals scratching their heads—while frisky feline Mrs. Murphy and her friends, fat-cat Pewter and corgi Tee Tucker, uncover clues as they curl their way around a cold-blooded killer.

This balmy summer in Crozet, Virginia, postmistress Mary Minor “Harry” Haristeen has a lot to think about. Things have been pretty cozy between her and her ex-husband, Fair and her beloved old post office is in danger of being replaced with a modern building—and modern rules. Harry’s thoughtful contemplation is shattered the day she stumbles over a dead body near Potlicker Creek. Barry Monteith, the handsome local horse breeder, has been savagely murdered. A true ladies’ man, Barry was known to have left a string of broken hearts behind him. But could a spurned lover be responsible for his untimely demise?

The plot only thickens when an autopsy reveals that Barry was infected with rabies weeks before he was killed. As usual, Harry can’t resist doing a little digging—with Mrs. Murphy close by to warn of approaching danger. Harry makes a remarkable discovery in the creek—the class ring of Mary Pat Reines, a local woman who disappeared thirty years earlier along with her prized Thoroughbred stallion. Like Barry, Mary Pat was a successful horse breeder—and now all of Crozet is wondering if the two cases are linked. As the police struggle with the evidence, the pressure gets hotter than a June afternoon—especially when another person is found dead of less-than-natural causes. As usual, Mrs. Murphy and her crew are the first to sniff out the truth.

But if they don’t find a way to help Harry piece together the puzzle, she could become the killer’s next target—and even Mrs. Murphy’s slinkiest moves won’t be able to save her.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

"This balmy summer in Crozet, Virginia, postmistress Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen has a lot to think about. Things have been pretty cozy between her and her ex-husband, Fair...and her beloved old post office is in danger of being replaced with a modern building - and modern rules." "Harry's thoughtful contemplation is shattered the day she stumbles over a dead body near Potlicker Creek. Barry Monteith, the handsome local horse breeder, has been savagely murdered. A true ladies' man, Barry was known to have left a string of broken hearts behind him. But could a spurned lover be responsible for his untimely demise? The plot only thickens when an autopsy reveals that Barry was infected with rabies weeks before being killed."."As usual, Harry can't resist doing a little digging - with Mrs. Murphy close by to warn of approaching danger. Harry makes a remarkable discovery in the creek - the class ring of Mary Pat Reines, a local woman who disappeared thirty years earlier along with prized Thoroughbred stallion. Like Barry, Mary Pat was a successful horse breeder - and now all of Crozet is wondering if the two cases are linked." "As the police struggle with the evidence, the pressure gets hotter than a June afternoon - especially when another person is found dead of less-than-natural causes. As usual, Mrs. Murphy and her crew are the first to sniff out the truth. But if they don't find a way to help Harry piece together the puzzle, she could become the killer's next target - and even Mrs. Murphy's slinkiest moves won't be able to save her."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,748,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible