Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight

Lassie Come-Home (original 1940; edition 2007)

by Eric Knight, Marguerite Kirmse (Illustrator)

Member:tpewc
Title:Lassie Come-Home
Authors:Eric Knight
Other authors:Marguerite Kirmse (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2007), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:childrens, dogs

Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight (1940)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
The classic children's book Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight was originally published in 1940. Having stood the test of time, this story is as appealing today as it has been for generations of dog-lovers. I grew up watching the TV program "Lassie" but had never read the original story. I was surprised by the English setting having assumed the story, like the tv show, was American.

Both Yorkshire and the Scottish Highlands are vividly portrayed in this book, and the beautiful collie dog that takes center stage is described almost as royalty. Lassie was a special dog and her love for her master could not be quelled or her homing instinct changed no matter how far away she was taken. Her struggles to get back to her "boy" carried her the length of Scotland and back into England and along the way she encountered both bad situations and good ones.

I am a dog lover and this book spoke to my heart. I was rooting for Lassie to find her way home and was thrilled at the outcome of the book. I don't know how I missed this book when I was young, but if I had come across it, it would have had a place of honor on my shelves. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 8, 2016 |
A reissue of the 1940 edition. Here is the classic story of friendship between a boy and his dog.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
This one really brought back memories. I was glad that my copy had maps on the endpapers. I liked following Lassie's journey. My Vintage Book Circle book group seemed to enjoy it too. We all wondered how true to the story the seven movies were. I love a happy ending. ( )
  njcur | Feb 26, 2016 |
A classic of its kind, made into more movies and television that you can shake a stick at. I found it good, if dated. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 19, 2016 |
One of the few books I own - I've had this since my childhood - may have influenced our choice of so many collie dogs for pets over the years. I hope to read it to or at least share it with my grandchildren. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |

Lassie is Joe’s prize collie and constant companion. But when Joe’s father loses his job, Lassie must be sold. Three times she escapes from her new owner, and three times she returns home to Joe, until finally she is taken to the remotest part of Scotland—too far a journey for any dog to make alone . . . But Lassie is not just any dog.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

A collie undertakes a thousand-mile journey in order to once again meet her former master at the school gate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,846,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible