If Wishes Were Horses by Joey W. Hill

If Wishes Were Horses

by Joey W. Hill

I though a different paranormal milieu would help me enjoy Hill's fiction a bit more, but I think it's safe to say that this spiritual, dominance/submission character motivation doesn't really work for me. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I read this book when it first came out and loved it then. I feel no different about this story now. I love Joey W. Hill's work and it never gets old. She is one of the best writers on the market today. I found several things in this story that didn't click before. The first is a description of a fountain in Justin Herne's garden that is part of the store. The fountain portrays a mermaid and an angel twine together. The description reminds me of the cover of A Mermaid's Kiss. It brought up memories of reading that story. The second thing that I noticed was Sarah borrows a uniform from a petite state police officer that is tough as nail. I am sure that this is Violet Siemanski. I am sure that Justin had some explaining to do about the state of the uniform when he and Sarah got done with it. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they told her about how the uniform was damaged.

This story has a lot of supernatural aspects to it. There is also some wonderful information about the Wicca faith. I was very intrigued with all that was revealed. The ceremonies that were described are something I would love to see in person. I have a affinity with the earth and this religion has spoken to me. Having a Incubus as a villain was a twist that I didn't remember. The Incubus being sent to another plane reminded me of what Mina did to Dante in a Witch's Beauty. I have to wonder if Ms. Hill setup all these books with just this one story. Holding the Cards came out first and set up the Nature of Desire series, which Violet's story is a part of, but this book seems to tie more of her series together than any of the others.

Justin has been one of my favorite Joey W. Hill characters since I first read this story. He is still one of my favorites. I can't recommend this story enough. This is a wonderful paranormal story and should have a bigger fan base than it probably does. ( )
  LadyIsis | Dec 13, 2012 |
First Joey Hill book that I didn't like. I actually couldn't finish it, and started skimming after the first few pages. I guess I couldn't suspend disbelief long enough to enter into her world.

For the first time I didn't find the sex hot, but spent the whole time during the first sex scene trying to figure out the logistics (she was bent in half, she was looking through her legs, he was holding her down how? It just sounded so uncomfortable!)

And then all of a sudden there was a whole demonic theme which hadn't been alluded to at all in the back blurb. So I felt a bit ambushed, reading a book I wasn't expecting.

And Justin Herne, the hero, he was just a bit off for me. I couldn't take the creation of a women's sex store in a small western town. I couldn't take him as a wiccan priest and sex god. I just didn't like or believe either characater.

So this went into the resale pile, a first for me with Joey Hill. ( )
  amf0001 | Jul 11, 2007 |

Sarah Wylde did not move from Chicago to a small town to get involved with a man. Particularly one like Justin Herne, a man too damn mesmerizing and dynamic to be in a rural town like Lilesville. To make matters worse, Herne runs a sex shop in the unincorporated limits of Lilesville, and Sarah is Lilesville’s new police chief. She doesn’t care whether or not the locals call it a “women’s sensuality shop” and that Herne is considered a respectable citizen. She’s keeping her eye on him.

The only problem is, Justin is more than happy to stay within viewing distance. When a ritual murder draws them together on a case, she finds that maintaining a professional distance isn’t going to be an option.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible