The Mind of a Mnemonist: A Little Book about…

The Mind of a Mnemonist: A Little Book about a Vast Memory

by Aleksandr R. Luria

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
It's always embarrassing when I'm the one who "doesn't get it." I admire and actually cherish Luria's considerable contributions to the field of psychology, but as a read, I just couldn't get into this. Of course, I finished it, but aside from moments of interest when Luria described the way a mind saturated with synesthesia works, I found it rather dull. A case study that lacked the interest of, say, and Oliver Sacks case study. And of course Sacks stands on Luria's shoulders; yet I simply couldn't get engaged in the book, despite my admiration for the author and his contributions. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
The part of this book that most surprised me is that "S", The Mnemonist, did not have a system for his memory. "S" was a person who had a very vivid imagination which was the source of his memory. ( )
  kay0211 | May 23, 2010 |
For the sheer vastness of one man's mind...: If you ever would want an absorbing eye-opener into the the mind of the great(est) mnemonist Shereshevsky (popularly 'S'), I recommend Prof. Luria's book. It is absorbing, and is a beautifully written work and one can but wonder about S and his mind, and how Luria brought out to the world the man and his extensive mental faculties. I am at loss of words to describe the book, for a few hundred words cannot describe the vastness of S's mind, but hats off to Luria, I enjoyed (and still do enjoy)the book from cover to cover.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
I got a hold of this book after reading that Oliver Sacks found it a great inspiration which started him writing his books. However I found much of it was very dry and did not interest me in the technical detail shown. The last section, "His personality' was interesting but much too short compared to the previous chapters. ( )
  red_dianthus | Jul 9, 2009 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,126,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible