Landing by Emma Donoghue

Landing (2007)

by Emma Donoghue

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All (16)
A charming romance starting with a 'Meet Cute' aboard a transatlantic Canada-to Ireland flight. Museum curator and flight attendant go from the first rush of delight and discovery to the agonies of a long distance romance. I adored Donaghue's characterization of Jude and Sile. We alternate from one to the other, sharing in visits, telephone calls and emails. Anyo9ne who has live through a LDR will recognize the meaning (and misunderstanding) which can go into a simple email or telephone call, and the anticipation of long awaited reunions. I was rooting for the two women from the start.

Emma Donaghue is perhaps most familiar for "Room", which was turned into an Academy Award nominated Best Picture film. I was a huge fan of that book, in particular her ability to bring to life a tilted world through the eyes of a five year old boy. Like that book, "Landing" lives as much in the minds of the protagonists as in any action-paced plotting. I'm a big fan and look forward to more from this author. ( )
  michigantrumpet | May 14, 2016 |
Like _Room_, this is not a fast-paced story. It is a slow unfolding of the long-distance relationship between two women and how they come to understand what really matters to them. I loved the slow story of the inner lives of these two as each learns more about herself and the other. Those who like a tale of action will not like this book. Those who have been in long-distance relationships may find a resonance. There is little or no sexual content. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |

I read this to the end. But at some point it did seem to go on and on. About a long distance relationship. One in Ireland (mother originally from India) and one in Canada. Will the two women get together. Nice characterization. But I kept wondering why I cared. (Audible listen.) ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
The previous reviewer captured my thoughts well. This is a simple love story, although well written by Ms. Donoghue. I, too, expected more.

One thing I will add is that it is nice to read a book about homosexuals where their sexual orientation isn't the plot! ( )
  LynnB | Jan 19, 2015 |
Entertaining but unexpectedly lightweight lesbian long-distance romance. Nothing wrong with that, and of course Donoghue makes a very competent job of it, but I was hoping for something a little more challenging. ( )
  thorold | Jan 10, 2015 |
For Chris, worth any journey
Later on, Jude Turner would look back on December thirty-first as the last morning her life had been firm, graspable, all in one piece.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0151012970, Hardcover)

Acclaimed Irish author Emma Donoghue's fifth novel, Landing, is a story about how far people will step outside their comfort zones to be with the ones they love. Told through the eyes of Sile O'Shaughnessy, a cosmopolitan Irish flight attendant, and Jude Turner, a sheltered museum archivist from Ireland, Ontario, Landing is a touching, if not somewhat repetitive exploration of what we are, and are not, willing to give up for love.

From the moment Jude and Sile first meet aboard a transatlantic flight, the chemistry between them is undeniable. After a rushed coffee at Heathrow, each woman returns to her own life, yet they are unable to shake the butterflies of that initial encounter. What follows is a long-distance exchange of passionate e-mails, letters, phone calls, and visits, most of which leave Sile and Jude feeling both exhilarated and despondent after each goodbye. Surrounding each heroine is a circle of friends and family members whose romantic struggles and successes highlight the pleasure and pain that often come with falling in love.

Landing is a quick read, and it's easy to become absorbed in this engaging long-distance relationship. Donoghue is skilled at brining out the humanity in each woman, so the sacrifices they both must make to keep their relationship alive never seem forced. And while we may grow tired of the constant late night missives and teary-eyed goodbyes, we find ourselves rooting for this couple, and hoping they will go the distance. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:02 -0400)

Over the course of a year, the lives of two women--Sile, a flight attendant and world traveler, and Jude, a young archivist stubbornly attached to the town of Ireland, Ontario--intersect, in a story that reveals the joys and sorrows of a long-distance relationship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible