Holidays Are Hell (Anthology 4-in-1) by Kim…

Holidays Are Hell (Anthology 4-in-1) (2007)

by Kim Harrison (Contributor), Marjorie M Liu (Author), Vicki Pettersson (Author), Lynsay Sands (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, rrison13, Risikah, JasonMa, nsnix, TigerDuchess, ErinSharp, BookWyvern

I had this for a year. I read Kim's and Marjorie's stories but hadn't read the other two. I was trying to finish another book before the end of the year but wasn't able to finish the last story in time. I finished it on the 1st though. I'm going to have to go back and read Vikki's first book again after reading this prequel. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Like all anthologies review, we’re going to look at the stories in this separately and then consider the book as a whole.

Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel by Kim Harrison

This story follows Rachel Morgan from the Hollows series, as a teenager before she joined the IS. This is the moment, mentioned in the book, when the young Rachel accidentally summons the ghost Pierce when trying to summon her father and with him manages to foil a crime for the IS. This is where Rachel’s path is set where, still recovering from her illness, she begins to see what she wants to do and why.

I had read this book in a book of short stories so already knew the plot. I think this is one of those anthology stories that perfectly hits the balance between having something for readers familiar with the series while, at the same time, providing enough information to get new readers interested in the world.

The world was presented ideally without overwhelming excess knowledge, just enough to keep people informed and understanding what’s happening and why it matters. It can be hard in any kind of fantasy short story to get across a sense of the world and all the relevant information without infodumping huge chunks of world building on people. I think here you can see what the Hollows is about, get a brief introduction to the main character and still have a story that is fun and engaging. Had I read this book first, I would have picked up the Hollows

For people who have read the story, well as I said in the review of In The Woods, there’s nothing here you need to know. You don’t need to read this to learn everything about the Hollows and it doesn’t tell you anything you don’t already know. But it does add emphasis and depth, I think Rachel becomes a much more understandable character – especially her reckless behaviour and need for challenge and need for validation – when you see this snap shot of what her life used to be like. It doesn’t develop the character per se, but it adds an extra shading – it adds some “why” to the “what”.

Six by Marjorie Liu

Six is a Chinese secret agent, raised from childhood to be the best of the best and to hunt down and defeat terrorists and other threats to the nation. She is skilled, competent and dedicated but completely unprepared for a world of necromancers and Jiangshi vampires. She has to run with a strange foreigner who has powers she doesn’t understand or trust to try and eliminate a threat that was far larger than she imagined – and one that means she cannot trust any of her usual resources. While running with him she re-analyses her life and what she wants from it – and finds there is more to her existence than duty and service.

It is nice to see a story that didn’t follows the same myths and legends of the west we’re so used to – the Jiangshi are a very different creature and a story set in China – without trying to exotify the country. I liked the characters, who were Asian, and I liked the setting as pretty original and, above all, I liked the story. It was fast paced, action packed and didn’t spend pages after pages dwelling on internal monologue and world building. It was quickly, concisely presented and that was it, we were into the action, the world unfolding as it was needed. Even the romance was presented in a relatively brief, concise fashion – not rushed or hurried or abrupt, but without excessive rumination and monologues that is so common.

As a short story it was tight, self-contained, precise. I don’t think this is part of any world of the authors, but it did show off a very clear, well paced and fun writing style.

Read more ( )

Six by Marjorie M. Liu
The Harvest by Vicki Pettersson
Run, Run, Rudolph by Lynsay Sands
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I loved the story by Kim Harrison--now that I know how Rachel's story started, it makes me want to read The Hollow series. And the Lynsay Sands story was very funny. The other two were a little dark for me, which is the reason for only 3 stars. ( )
  rubyslippersreads | Mar 30, 2013 |

Sands, LynsayContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To My Parents with Love
Marjorie Liu
For my mother = Joanne Johnson
Happy Thanksgiving. Happy Birthday.

Vicki Pettersson
From Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel:

I stuck the end of the pencil between my teeth, brushing the eraser specks off the paper as I considered how best to answer the employment application.

Contains:

"Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" by Kim Harrison

"Run, Run, Rudolph" by Lynsay Sands

"Six" by Marjorie M. Liu

"The Harvest" by Vicki Pettersson

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061239097, Mass Market Paperback)

This holiday, spend quality time with family and loved ones—living and dead . . .

There's no place like home for the horrordays—unless you'd prefer a romantic midnight walk through a ghost-infested graveyard . . . or a haunted house candlelight dinner with the sexy vampire of your dreams. The (black) magical season is here—and whether it's a solstice séance gone demonically wrong with the incomparable Kim Harrison, a grossly misshapen Christmas with the remarkable Lynsay Sands, a blood-chilling-and-spilling New Year's with the wonderful Marjorie M. Liu, or a super-powered Thanksgiving with the phenomenal Vicki Pettersson, one thing is for certain: in the able hands of these exceptional dark side explorers, the holidays are going to be deliciously hellish!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

Four romance authors--Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Marjorie M. Liu, and Vicki Pettersson--explore the seductive and dangerous world of the supernatural in four sensuous tales of the holidays run amok, from Thanksgiving to New Year's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,560,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible