The Knight of the Swords by Michael Moorcock

The Knight of the Swords (1971)

by Michael Moorcock

I went into this expecting to enjoy it a lot more than I did. The story seemed interesting at first, in fact, the concept(the battle between the forces of Law and Chaos, new races replacing the Old)was what got me to pick up the book in the first place. True enough, for the first dozen or so pages it was entertaining enough, some of the world-building I enjoyed quite a lot and it did get me involved in the story.

The last two books were not at all enjoyable to read in my case. I found it's the case with most of the fantasy classics I read, they start with an interesting/thought-provoking premise, which then devolves into pointless stereotypes, forced plot points, mindless and in some cases annoying heroics. The characters feel stiff and lifeless, and any character development there is just feels forced and rushed. The absence of romance in this book could have only made it leagues better. Instead, we have to deal with entire sections of the book occupied by this contrived and not at all intriguing part of the story. All the characters personalities are made of glass, except poor old Hanafax and to some extent Glandyth, the big baddy. I only give this two stars because of its age, and the fact that I did enjoy the first part of this book. Of course, if I had read this in the '70s I most likely would have rated it higher, but as it is there are bigger and better things out there. ( )
  alexiosangelos | Aug 14, 2017 |
Whelp, I was a little disappointed here. I've heard such amazing things about Moorcock, but this one was just meh, for me, at least. The characters felt flat, the story too bare-bones, some of the plot seemed stuck on with post-it notes. I won't be reading the rest in the series. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 30, 2016 |
I find that, 30 or so years later, I like Corum better than Elric. Less emo 8) ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Some interesting scenes but a fantasy that falls into the genre I think of as "And then this happened....and then this happened...." While in some ways a quest, the thread is tenuous and generally so outside the control of Prince Corum that things seems to depend more on chance then skill or deserving. By the end with all of the layers of gods that seem to be popping up everywhere, the whole universe seems exceedingly random to the point that I could not see how in this world a poem such as The Road Not Taken would make any difference to him or to us at all. Choose a path, choose any path....it's all good. ( )
  tsgood | Mar 27, 2016 |
Prince Corum Jhalen Isrei is happy. His people are free to pursue the arts at their leisure. They have refined themselves over the millenia to a state of near perfect harmony and bliss. They had also become quite complacent. And so in their arrogance and their isolation they failed to comprehend the threat that the beast-like Mabden presented them - both individually and collectively. As Corum came to realized, a war party of Mabden had succeeded in destroying all the works of the Vhadhagh and slaughtering all the Vhadhagh. All save himself. Upon him, these Mabden spent more time and effort - taking his eye and his hand before a friendly creature aided him. And thus Corum learned fear, hatred, war and he acquired a thirst for vengeance.

In order to truly come into his own, though, he would have to learn to love a Mabden woman and then make a deal with the devil... Only then could he hope to battle the Lords of Chaos that had loosed the Mabden hordes on his homeland. ( )
  helver | May 16, 2012 |

Michael Moorcockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gould, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haberfield, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,567,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible