A Song for Ba by Paul Yee

A Song for Ba

by Paul Yee

242443,774 (3)None

Though this book didn't have a tidy happy ending like most of the stories I like, this one portrays the characters and the circumstances of the story with unyielding honesty. It reflects on the values that a family newly immigrated to California might possess. It's a shames that the old ways were dying though and that training to be in the Chinese Opera wasn't a feasible career option because it seemed that the boy's heart was really in it if only he'd had a chance. Nice book. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
I didn't get this book. I wasn't sure if it was merely about Chinese opera or if the dad was a 19th century female impersonator. Overall, I didn't like the book. I just couldn't connect with the story or find the author's purpose. The illustrations are nicely done but didn't help me decipher the story. ( )
  pjw1173 | Jun 5, 2011 |

In the Chinese opera, men traditionally sing both male and female parts. Wei Lim's father, Ba, however, usually plays masculine characters and sings in a deep bass voice. But Wei's grandfather played female roles, and has secretly taught Wei to sing these difficult parts. When the New World's entertainments begin to cause a shrinking audience for the opera company, and Ba is forced to play female characters, which can help him learn to sing in such high tones? Color illustrations help bring Wei's tale, and this ancient art form, to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:58 -0400)

Wei Lim, a young Chinese boy, his father, and his grandfather struggle to adapt to western culture while honoring traditions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible