Sacred Fireplace (Oceti Wakan): Life and…

Sacred Fireplace (Oceti Wakan): Life and Teachings of a Lakota Medicine… (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Peter S, Catches, Peter V. Catches (Editor)

Member:juniperSun
Title:Sacred Fireplace (Oceti Wakan): Life and Teachings of a Lakota Medicine Man
Authors:Peter S, Catches
Other authors:Peter V. Catches (Editor)
Info:Clear Light Pub (1999), Edition: 1st. Ed, Paperback, 250 pages
Collections:Your library, Abrams
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Native American, spirituality

Sacred Fireplace (Oceti Wakan): Life and Teachings of a Lakota Medicine Man by Peter Catches (1999)

Pete Catches tells of his life, from early years, teachings and experiences. He wasn't a perfect person, but he did accept the responsibility to be a medicine man, as he was guided by his vision. He shares some teachings about the Inipi, hanbleciya, sundance, and hunkapi ceremonies as well as some traditional tales. He wanted to start a healing center for his people who struggle with alcohol. ( )
  juniperSun | Dec 18, 2012 |
With much love and devotion, I dedicate this book to Okawinga Win (Perpetual Cycle Woman), Amelia Emily Ribsman Catches, and all wakunka (elders) who hold the eternal female embodiment of the Great Mystery's infinity of love. It is they who teach wakanyeja (sacred beings, children) into adulthood. In the Spotted Eagle Clan and the Sundance Nation, Okawinga Win's spirit lives as a true and loving flower of a matriarch forever in bloom.
--Peter V. Catches (Zintkala Oyate)
This is the winter of 1989, and I am seventy-seven years old.
Introduction: Petaga Yuha Mani, known as Pete S. Catches, Sr., was considered a holy man of the Dakota Nation.
Preface: Wen I was a young boy, we lived at a place called Calico, a village between three and four miles northwest of the town of Pine Ridge, South Dakota, on Highway 18.
Epilogue: Because all of us are human and raised the way we are, we cannot truly decide for ourselves who we want to be.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,661,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible