The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS by Elizabeth…

The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

8081511,287 (3.58)1 / 14
Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS
Authors:Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
Info:Pocket (1995), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:unread

The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas (1993)

good - after 1st snow really find out! Why — sniff — pecking order

Have you ever wondered what the world looks like to your dog? Or what it smells and sounds like? Do dogs have crushes or love affairs? Do they dream, and what about? This book is the result of 30 years of living with dogs, wolves and dingoes. The author visits their minds and provides an insight into a species different from our own, but in many respects surprisingly the same.
  christinejoseph | Feb 7, 2016 |
This book is about a woman's observations about her dogs. Allowing her pack of dogs to be dogs and behave as they will (much to the annoyance of her neighbors), she seeks to answer the question of what dogs want. Seeking out their motivations through patient observations, she arrives at many fascinating conclusions. While this text is unscientific, which she freely admits- the conclusions are well thought out. At times she does overstep, offering motives that may be a little too human. But the discussion about the dogs' method of communication and rank system make this an intriguing read. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 15, 2016 |
This was an interesting book, but kind of disappointing. It wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about what certain things that dogs do mean, but it was more centered on the pack mentality, etc. But it was still very interesting. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 20, 2014 |
This woman first let her dogs roam freely across busy streets and highways, even a freeway, watching and observing but not protecting them. She and the dogs are fortunate none were injured or killed.

Secondly, she then let them live outside with almost no human interaction or socialization and watched them devolve into a pack of wild animals. Um, yes, but is that really the hidden life of the dogs we know or just animal mentality, much like humans would do if left to fend for themselves in the wild?

Although interesting, the narrative really bothered me and much of it felt made up or exaggerated. I really don't trust that this book is in any way authentic and it certainly isn't going to tell you anything about your dog. [a:Susan Conant|21712|Susan Conant|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1314469506p2/21712.jpg] once referred to Thomas as being afraid of her own dogs and I think she has a point. I do not recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

The author of The Harmless People and an authority on canine behavior observes the remarkable exploits of her dogs during a thirty-year period, including how they dug themselves a vast underground den. 35,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:26 -0400)

Long before the Dog Whisperer, anthropologist Elizabeth Marshall Thomas revealed to readers the nature of pack dynamics, leading to a completely new understanding of dogs and their desires. In this fascinating account, based on thirty years of living with and observing dogs, we meet Misha, a friend's husky, whom Thomas followed on his daily rounds of more than 130 square miles, and who ultimately provided the simple and surprising answer to the question What do dogs want most? Not food, not sex, but other dogs. We also meet Maria, who adored Misha, bore his puppies, and clearly mourned when he moved away; the brave pug Bingo and his little wife, Violet; the dingo Viva; and the remaining dogs and pups that constitute the pack. "Instead of training and obedience, [Thomas] offers as an alternative a world of 'trust and mutual obligation'" (Los Angeles Times Book Review). When it was first published in hardcover, The Hidden Life of Dogs spent over a year on the New York Times Bestseller list. This Mariner paperback edition will include a new afterword by the author.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible