The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS by Elizabeth…

The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

748None12,384 (3.59)1 / 13
Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS
Authors:Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
Info:Pocket (1995), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:unread

The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas (1993)

Recently added bykastelling, private library, bepi1001, daklhaus, Cherizar, Angelika57, mandala
(3) animal (4) animal behavior (23) animals (64) anthropology (3) behavior (12) biology (4) canine (5) dog (10) dog behavior (13) dog psychology (8) dog training (3) dogs (177) ethology (9) hardcover (5) memoir (6) natural history (9) nature (16) NF (4) non-fiction (89) own (6) paperback (3) pets (26) psychology (8) read (11) reference (4) science (10) to-read (5) unread (3) wolves (8)

This woman first let her dogs roam freely across busy streets and highways, even a freeway, watching and observing but not protecting them. She and the dogs are fortunate none were injured or killed.

Secondly, she then let them live outside with almost no human interaction or socialization and watched them devolve into a pack of wild animals. Um, yes, but is that really the hidden life of the dogs we know or just animal mentality, much like humans would do if left to fend for themselves in the wild?

Although interesting, the narrative really bothered me and much of it felt made up or exaggerated. I really don't trust that this book is in any way authentic and it certainly isn't going to tell you anything about your dog. [a:Susan Conant|21712|Susan Conant|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1314469506p2/21712.jpg] once referred to Thomas as being afraid of her own dogs and I think she has a point. I do not recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
A sensitive insightful book about how dogs see their world. Follows several dogs belongng to the author, describing their activities, communications, dominence patterns and other "secret" aspects of dogs' lives. ( )
  oldman | Mar 5, 2012 |
This is a fascinting book, partly because it raises at least as many questions as it answers. This lady is clearly a complete lunatic - she follows her dog around at night on a bicycle, for goodness sakes - but she gives you a feeling (or perhaps the illusion of a feeling) about what goes on inside a dog's head that is absolutlely fascinating. There is also a sense of loss as all of the dogs she knows get older and, one by one, eventually die in one way or another.

The book is short (I read it in one day without being more than usually anti-social) but well recommended to anyone with a heart. ( )
  Philogos | Jan 5, 2012 |
The idea of thrree generations of dogs in a single household makes this a book of good suggestions about writing abour the different dogs in a family or person's lives. Maybe because we have just lost a dog who belonged to my husband makes this particularly appearling. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Sep 8, 2011 |

The author of The Harmless People and an authority on canine behavior observes the remarkable exploits of her dogs during a thirty-year period, including how they dug themselves a vast underground den. 35,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible