The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS by Elizabeth…

The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

7521212,358 (3.59)1 / 14
Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:The HIDDEN LIFE OF DOGS
Authors:Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
Info:Pocket (1995), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:unread

The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas (1993)

This woman first let her dogs roam freely across busy streets and highways, even a freeway, watching and observing but not protecting them. She and the dogs are fortunate none were injured or killed.

Secondly, she then let them live outside with almost no human interaction or socialization and watched them devolve into a pack of wild animals. Um, yes, but is that really the hidden life of the dogs we know or just animal mentality, much like humans would do if left to fend for themselves in the wild?

Although interesting, the narrative really bothered me and much of it felt made up or exaggerated. I really don't trust that this book is in any way authentic and it certainly isn't going to tell you anything about your dog. [a:Susan Conant|21712|Susan Conant|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1314469506p2/21712.jpg] once referred to Thomas as being afraid of her own dogs and I think she has a point. I do not recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
A sensitive insightful book about how dogs see their world. Follows several dogs belongng to the author, describing their activities, communications, dominence patterns and other "secret" aspects of dogs' lives. ( )
  oldman | Mar 5, 2012 |
This is a fascinting book, partly because it raises at least as many questions as it answers. This lady is clearly a complete lunatic - she follows her dog around at night on a bicycle, for goodness sakes - but she gives you a feeling (or perhaps the illusion of a feeling) about what goes on inside a dog's head that is absolutlely fascinating. There is also a sense of loss as all of the dogs she knows get older and, one by one, eventually die in one way or another.

The book is short (I read it in one day without being more than usually anti-social) but well recommended to anyone with a heart. ( )
  Philogos | Jan 5, 2012 |
The idea of thrree generations of dogs in a single household makes this a book of good suggestions about writing abour the different dogs in a family or person's lives. Maybe because we have just lost a dog who belonged to my husband makes this particularly appearling. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Sep 8, 2011 |

The author of The Harmless People and an authority on canine behavior observes the remarkable exploits of her dogs during a thirty-year period, including how they dug themselves a vast underground den. 35,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

Long before the Dog Whisperer, anthropologist Elizabeth Marshall Thomas revealed to readers the nature of pack dynamics, leading to a completely new understanding of dogs and their desires. In this fascinating account, based on thirty years of living with and observing dogs, we meet Misha, a friend's husky, whom Thomas followed on his daily rounds of more than 130 square miles, and who ultimately provided the simple and surprising answer to the question What do dogs want most? Not food, not sex, but other dogs. We also meet Maria, who adored Misha, bore his puppies, and clearly mourned when he moved away; the brave pug Bingo and his little wife, Violet; the dingo Viva; and the remaining dogs and pups that constitute the pack. "Instead of training and obedience, [Thomas] offers as an alternative a world of 'trust and mutual obligation'" (Los Angeles Times Book Review). When it was first published in hardcover, The Hidden Life of Dogs spent over a year on the New York Times Bestseller list. This Mariner paperback edition will include a new afterword by the author.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,794,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible