Kamikaze Girls [Novel] by Novala Takemoto

Kamikaze Girls [Novel]

by Novala Takemoto

181965,444 (4.19)1

English (8)  German (1)  All (9)
Well.
Time to cry again.
This book will have a review soon! ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
First time reading - summer 2010. Rating: 3 stars.

7/1 - 11/1 2015
I definitely enjoyed Kamikaze Girls more the second time around. For one, it's likely that my taste has changed in a way that I enjoyed the wit to a greater extent. For another - and here's a disclaimer for anyone planning on reading it; I have an interest in lolita fashion, embroidery, and Japan in general. I did have interest for all of these the first time too, but probably not as much as I do now. And it really helps to be interested in these things if one hopes to enjoy this book. Because there's many detailed passages in the book that would likely be very boring, if you're not into the subjects. Anyway, part of the reason I love this book is because of the themes it touches on, lolita fashion is in general very rare in media, but I liked the other themes too like the unexpected friendship between Momoko and Ichigo. I really love the story and both characters, and I love them both through reading them, and watching the movie adaption and seeing the on screen. Another big plus is that this book is actually really funny. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, which is why I couldn't recommend it to everyone - but I personally love it. It's funny, witty, it touches on themes I adore and rarely find in media, and it is also very inspiring to me. Also, I could see myself rereading this in the future again and again and that says something to me. Love.
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This book, originally written for a Japanese audience, assumes that the readers are familiar with Japanese culture, subculture and geography. I, however, am not. It might have helped if I had realized that there was a glossary to explain some of the terms used, like Yanki, so that I didn't go through the entire book thinking that Yanki was the equivalent of hick instead of juvenile delinquent. ( )
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Momoko is a Lolita. She loves frills, flounces and beautiful embroidery. Ichigo is a Yanki. She loves pachinko, fake designer sportswear and her biker gang. Who is the toughest? How could two such different people possibly become friends? You’ll be surprised.
Kamikaze Girls by Novala Takemoto is funny, smart, warm-hearted and thoroughly awesome. It’s also a glimpse into a side of Japan that visitors like me rarely see. I recommend it wholeheartedly. ( )
1 vote othersam | Oct 25, 2012 |
Kamikaze Girls is a light-hearted tale of the unlikely friendship between two high school girls who embrace very different lifestyles. Momoko dresses in the Lolita fashion, specifically the Rococo Lolita, which emphasizes beauty, indolence, and frilly clothing. Ichigo is a member of a Yanki girl gang that does only two things: ride and fight. Initially the two girls seem as though they could not be more different. Momoko is cute, cultured, aloof, and utterly indifferent to the dirty and rural farmlands of Shimotsuma, whereas Ichigo is rough, honorable, and gregarious. Their friendship seems natural as it unfolds, though, because the author gradually reveals how Momoko and Ichigo are in many ways similar in their philosophies.

Momoko narrates the story with a first-person voice that is whimsical and mature; the nuanced perspective of an intelligent teenage girl comes through very well. The only flaw of the novel is that the narrative progresses in a manner that is not entirely surprising, but it is nevertheless solid and satisfying. ( )
  Kirkengaard | Nov 13, 2011 |

Novala Takemotoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evers, IzumiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wegmüller, AkemiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This work is the novel version of the story. Please do not combine with the graphic novel of the same name.

Life in the boondocks of rural Ibaraki prefecture is anything but glamorous, and to escape her humdrum existence, Momoko, a "Lolita," fanaticizes about French rococo, dreams of living in the palace of Versailles, and decks herself out in the finest (and frilliest) of 18th century haute couture from an expensive Tokyo specialty store. Her dreams of an idyllic existence are rudely interrupted by the appearance of Ichigo, a tough-talking "Yanki" motorcycle-chick (on a tricked-out moped) who's part of a girls-only biker gang known as the Ponytails. Together, this unlikeliest of duos strikes out on a quest to find a legendary embroiderer, a journey that takes them to back-alley pachinko parlors, chic boutiques, and epic bike-punk battles. Novala Takemoto's hit novel [ital.] Kamikaze Girls [ital.], already a cult-classic in Japan and the inspiration for an internationally acclaimed film of the same name, is more than a quirky coming-of-age tale, it's a new way of life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible