Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth) by M. C.…

Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth) (original 1987; edition 2012)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:JennC
Title:Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth)
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages

Death of a Cad by M. C. Beaton (1987)

Recently added byJMlibrarian, private library, Jiraiya, Laura_lita, bearette24, Kris.Gatzemeyer, stoberg, DM66

Hamish Macbeth's old girlfriend (and love of his life so far) is back in town with a fiance. A house party is planned by the girlfriend's parents and Hamish is not welcome as far as they are concerned. Nonetheless his old girlfriend still likes having him around. There are assorted guests staying in the house including a "cad" that the women can;t seem to take their eyes off of. Yes. He is murdered and Hamish, as always, must find the killer. ( )
  kp9949 | Mar 12, 2015 |
The rating for Death Of A Cad is harsh. Or at least seems so, compared to my usual methods and standards. Part of my frustration is my inability to pinpoint the exact reason why the book was kind of meh, despite a great denouement. Adjectives! What use are they to me when I can only misuse them to try to gauge why I thought the book was pedestrian to a fault?

Reading this particular offering reminded me strongly less of M.C. Beaton's sibling franchise (the Agatha Raisin books) but more of Sue Grafton's popular series and not less popular that of J.D. Robb. The book doesn't have a lot of heart. It reads like it came from an assembly line. There is no soul to the book - here we go again. What's the use of describing something as soulless if that doesn't clarify my experience and reaction and the color of my disappointment towards this book? I can't narrow it down, I can't put to paper the itinerary of my journey of reading the book. I might as well get on with it and finish off with a less angst-y and less ridiculous paragraph. But first allow me to put my toys back in my pram...

So, straight to it, finally. I was pleased that the murderer turned out to be someone given a lot of screen time in the book. I'll say no more spoiler-y things, but I didn't want to give Death Of A Cad 3 stars because for something read almost in a day, it is surprisingly cagey in rewarding the patience of the reader. I was also fed up of lowering my expectations of mysteries and had to draw the line somewhere. I don't feel that I've thrown Death Of A Cad under the bus. I'm just saying I feel like I've been taken for a ride. ( )
  Jiraiya | Feb 8, 2015 |
Think I enjoyed this more than the first book because I knew what to expect and I knew the characters.

A quick and easy read - just what I needed as I was under the weather at the time.

Could've finished sooner but was reading by torchlight which kept going off. Ideal sort of book for a long train journey.

Like how the first chapter of the next book resets everything back to how it was before Priscilla got engaged - I suspected Henry of the murder. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 13, 2014 |
This is the 2nd book in the Hamish MacBeth series. I had read some of the later books and decided I wanted to read the whole series and now I've completed the first and second. Going to Lochdubh (Loc-Doo) is the greatest escape I know. The endearing Constable Macbeth is so pleasant to be around it doesn't really matter that he solved this mystery a little too easily. ( )
  clue | Mar 10, 2014 |
I love Hamish Macbeth! I should read these in order, but I've been listening to them and so sometimes I can't get the audio for a title. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
For Mark Sutherland-Fisher of Dingwall
Geoffrey Wilkinson of Dingwll
Charlie and Margaret Macleod of Lairg
Iain Mackay and Biddy Macleod of Torgormack
Henry Withering, playwright, slumped down in the passenger seat of the station wagon after another bleak look out at the forbidding landscape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446607142, Mass Market Paperback)

Murder Most Fowl When Priscilla Halburton-Smythe brings her London playwright fiance home to Lochdubh, everybody in town is delighted...except for love-smitten Constable Hamish Macbeth. Yet his affairs of the heart will have to wait. Vile, boorish Captain Bartlett, one of the guests at Priscilla's engagement party, has just been found murdered-shot while on a grouse hunt. Now with many titled party guests as the prime suspects, each with a reason for snuffing out the despicable captain, Hamish must smooth ruffled feathers as he investigates the case. When the hidden culprit strikes again, Hamish will find himself trying to save Priscilla from a miserable marriage-and catch a killer before he flies the coop.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:39 -0400)

When Priscilla Halburton-Smythe brings her London playwright fiance home to Lochdubh, everyone in town is delighted - except for love-smitten Hamish Macbeth. But affairs of the heart will have to wait.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,182,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible