A hen, a chick, and a string guitar by…

A hen, a chick, and a string guitar

by Margaret Read MacDonald

422273,462NoneNone
Recently added bysjh_kim, cesbooks, cesdemo

Cumulative tale of a boy who receives pets from each of his relatives. Each pet provides him with offspring: the hen has a chick, the duck a duckling, the dog a puppy, and so on until he has 16 pets and a guitar to play music so they can all dance. Accompanying CD has the song. Inspired by a story from Chilean folklore.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I've been looking for some more folktales to read/tell in storytime and since Margaret Read MacDonald's version of The Squeaky Door was such a HUGE hit last spring (I bought a copy for my professional collection) I thought I'd look at some of her other folktale adaptations.

This is a simple adaptation of a Latin American folktale, often told as a folksong. Various family members give a small boy a pet - the pets in turn have babies and the count mounts up until he ends up with sixteen pets, all dancing together. This story is probably best told as a song, and a cd is included, but I found the tune difficult to stick in my head. It's also probably best with a guitar, which I don't play. It doesn't help that a man is singing the song, so I have to try to pick up the tune and move it to my voice range.

Verdict: The refrain of "Ay! Ay! Ay!" may sound funny read aloud, but I think this will work well as an interactive story, having the kids counting and naming all the animals.

ISBN: 978-1841487960; Published May 2005 by Barefoot Books (out of print); Borrowed from the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 13, 2012 |

A cumulative tale from Chile that begins with a hen and ends with sixteen different animals and a guitar.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,402,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible