Widdershins by Charles de Lint

Widdershins (2006)

by Charles de Lint

Recently added bykdcdavis, varroa, private library, randys_bookbuzz, raselyem7, barbiefly, Maddz

Interesting take on knowing your own mind. Jilly has gone through so very much in her life and she finally gets to work it all through. I loved the inclusion of de Lin'ts always highly interesting secondary characters. His Cousins and the fae make this yet again and amazing read. Mixing Native fae with the traditional english/irish/scottish fae with if possible explosive results.

His delicate touch with dealing with the long term after effects of abuse is as always deftly handled. He makes those who have been through abuse both sympathetic and human. They are not perfect, no one is but they slowly work through their issues.

I will continue to read and reread this book as the years go by. ( )
  suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |
Overall this was a good book. Makes me want to read/learn more about Celtic and Native American mythology. Numerous characters to keep track of ranging from humans to spirits. It was interesting to see how they all interacted and the mythologies entwined.

What made me decide on a 3 star rating rather than 4 was the ending...or endings. For me a book doesn't always have to wrap everything up in a pretty bow. I actually like endings that leave you wondering what happens next. In Widdershins there seems to be one ending after another, after another; the last 100 pages sum up this pattern. However, with that being said I'd still recommend this one to friends. ( )
  davepdavis | Jan 23, 2014 |
Slightly trashy and adolescent, as most "urban fantasy" seems to be, but well written and reasonably complex. (Actually a bit TOO complex, as the many different POVs got annoying pretty quickly. ) I find his books unmemorable and more or less interchangeable, but I do enjoy them at the time. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
I'm so glad he wrote this to follow up on The Onion Girl! ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Charles de Lint writes fairy tales for grownups, and his 2006 novel "Widdershins" is a good example of the kind of books he is known for. Jilly Coppercorn, the young human woman at the center of "The Onion Girl" and a number of other de Lint stories, returns to the otherword for another life-changing adventure.

This 560-page novel has almost as many plots and subplots as it has characters, and it has a lot of characters, some human, some fairies and some who can appear in human form but also in the form of dogs, crows, salmon and other creatures. There may actually be too much going on for "Widdershins" to be a truly satisfying novel. I much prefer an earlier de Lint book, "The Little Country," which though still full of fantasy is much closer to reality.

Jilly's part of "Widdershins" involves her being taken bodily into her own mind to deal with a terrible past she has never come to terms with. Both she and her younger sister were sexually abused by their brother as children. Now she returns to her girlhood home, is made into a little girl again and comes face to face with Del, her brother, who is eager to pick up right where he left off. This time she is determined to settle things her way once and for all.

Besides being emotionally crippled by her past, Jilly is also physically crippled by an accident that left her in a wheelchair, unable to create the art that once was the center of her life. That, too, is something she must deal with, thanks to an assist from her friends in the otherworld.

Like a movie that relies too much on special effects, "Widdershins" (a word that means 'counterclockwise' in fairy-speak) has too much weird stuff going on for its own good. Characters are brought back to life, jump from one world to another in an instant, change shapes and do other miraculous things on practically every page. Magic shows are entertaining, in part, because there are periods of normality between the tricks. "Widdershins" lacks enough periods of normality. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Jul 21, 2012 |
Yesterday is ashes; tomorrow is wood.
Only today does the fire burn brightly.
— Old Inuit proverb
The music of what happens—that is the finest music in the world.
—Attributed to FIONN MAC CUMHAIL,
from Irish folklore
God, I really hope that we just remember we all come from the same tribe in the end.
—LILA DOWNS
from an interview in Women Who Rock, Jan./Feb. 2004
The crossroads at midnight.

Before it's over, we'll find ourselves plunged into the rancorous and sometimes violent conflict between the magical North American "animal people" and the more newly-arrived fairy folk. We'll watch as Jilly is held captive in a sinister world based on her own worst memories--and Geordie, attempting to help, is sent someplace even worse. And we'll be captivated by the power of love and determination to redeem ancient hatreds and heal old magics gone sour.

To walk "widdershins" is to walk counterclockwise or backwards around something. It's a classic pathway into the fairy realm. It's also the way people often back slowly into the relationships that matter, the real ones that make for a life. In Widdershins Charles de Lint has delivered one of his most accessible and moving works of his career.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:32 -0400)

"Jilly Coppercorn and Geordie Riddell. Since they were introduced in the first Newford story, "Timeskip," back in 1989, their friends and readers alike have been waiting for them to realize what everybody else already knows: that they belong together. But they've been more clueless about how they feel for each other than the characters in When Harry Met Sally. Now in Widdershins, a stand-alone novel of fairy courts set in shopping malls and the Bohemian street scene of Newford's Crowsea area, Jilly and Geordie's story is finally being told.""Before it's over, we'll find ourselves plunged into the rancorous and sometimes violent conflict between the magical North American "animal people" and the newly arrived fairy folk. We'll watch as Jilly is held captive in a sinister world based on her own worst memories and Geordie - attempting to help - is sent someplace even worse. And we'll be captivated by the power of love and determination to redeem ancient hatreds and heal old magics gone sour." "To walk "widdershins" is to walk counterclockwise or backwards around something. It's a classic pathway into the fairy realm. It's also the way people often back slowly into the relationships that matter, the real ones that make for a life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

82 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible