Thirteen

by Richard K. Morgan

1,519518,455 (3.78)109
One hundred years from now, and against all the odds, Earth has found a new stability; the political order has reached some sort of balance, and the new colony on Mars is growing. But the fraught years of the 21st century have left an uneasy legacy ... Genetically engineered alpha males, designed to fight the century's wars have no wars to fight and are surplus to requirements. And a man bred and designed to fight is a dangerous man to have around in peacetime. Many of them have left for Mars but now one has come back and killed everyone else on the shuttle he returned in. Only one man, a genengineered ex-soldier himself, can hunt him down and so begins a frenetic man-hunt and a battle survival. And a search for the truth about what was really done with the world's last soldiers. BLACK MAN is an unstoppable SF thriller but it is also a novel about prejudice, about the ramifications of playing with our genetic blue-print. It is about our capacity for violence but more worrying, our capacity for deceit and corruption. This is another landmark of modern SF from one of its most exciting and commercial authors.… (more)
Recently added byMrPikes, private library, psyq123, fred_mouse, hypatian_kat, TheReadingReindeer
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: A thriller and a tragic romance--both authors explore the ethics of people created for specific purposes from the perspectives of those created individuals.
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (grizzly.anderson)

English (49)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (51)
It sags a lot around the 60% mark, and when I finally pulled through I had forgotten half of the people's roles who get reintroduced at that point. ( )
  psyq123 | Aug 24, 2020 |
Abandoned circa p100: This kind of bloated, exposition-heavy, constantly shifting viewpoint, modern idiom seems to increasingly annoy me. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
Total testosterone read. Not that this is all bad, of course, because there's plenty going on in the story to try to buck the trend. Like the main character, an uber-alpha-male if there ever was one, thanks to his Thirteen status as an engineered lot designed to do all the things that a pansified world is now unable to do.

Of course, skip ahead a few years and everyone's regretting that decision, setting up all the thirteens for a witch-hunt, and what we have now is a noir fiction treat skipping back and forth between Mars and Earth.

I should mention I read Morgan's Thin Air before this one and it doesn't really matter which you start with. They're both in the same time-frame and setting set up, but different characters and plots (although both are quite noir).

I had a good time with this. It's longer than a usual mystery novel by a big stretch and we've got lots of twisty plots to unsnarl -- usually with a lot of ultraviolence -- and it is what it is. Sharp, snappy, full of overblown Jesusland ignorance, rich people getting away with nutty stuff, and police-ish procedural with a side order of romance. :) You know, NOIR. :)

I'm glad to have read this. It hit the spot. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Lots of characters and lots of action. Stay with it as it picks up speed as it rolls along. Delves into the prejudice surrounding genetically modified humans, but there is some bitterweet romance along with some great fight sequences. Morgan ties it all together and the end is satifsying, if not a little melancholy. ( )
  Kardaen | Apr 24, 2020 |
Wow, that was cheerful. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 21, 2020 |

Richard K. Morganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Margaret Ann Morgan
Gleaming steel, gleaming steel...

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,916,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible