A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle

A Fine and Private Place (1960)

by Peter S. Beagle

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both feature a single man with a devoted attachment to a graveyard and its restless ghost.
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (Ciruelo)

I don't even know where to begin. I liked it. The writing was phenomenal, the characters rich and interesting. There was so much packed into this book from philosophy, musing about life after death, and a fascinating study of humans. Peter S. Beagle scrapes at the bottom of the very soul of his characters and I felt as if I was peering into this man's own thoughts through his writing. This felt like a very personal glimpse into his musings but seamlessly put into novel form, exploring such beautiful and dastardly human characters. The ghosts in this book were just as corporeal as those that were alive. It took me a little while to get into it but the plot quickly picks up 100 pages in or so as you settle into this elegant and raw study of life and death that Beagle has wrought. I mayn't have fully grasped everything contained within this book, but maybe you aren't supposed to. You are just supposed to let it wash over you and absorb what you can. Bravo, Mr. Beagle. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
An interesting premise but not carried out well. Needed more plot, less philosophizing. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Possibly the most boring book in existence ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
This had all the sweetness and poetry I've come to expect from Peter S. Beagle, with just the right tinge of heartbreak along with it. I liked his ghosts, slowly forgetting who they are until they almost-disappear, and I liked Mrs. Klapper, and I liked the ambiguity of the ending, but something about the whole of it together wasn't great for me. ( )
1 vote jen.e.moore | Aug 15, 2016 |
Beagle is a genius! Cemetaries, death - is this a fantasy?! A new magical realism when it was even extant yet!! ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A first novel that is both sepulchral and oddly appealing... a wry dialogue with death that may contain no large lump of wisdom but offers a fair selection of small ones.
added by jjlong | editTime (May 23, 1960)

Peter S. Beagleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collingwood, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallardo, GervasioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The grave's a fine and private place, but none, I think, do there embrace."
Dies Erste widme ich meinen Eltern, Simon und Rebecca, und meinem Bruder Daniel und selbstverständlich auch Edwin Peterson
This first one for my parents, Simon and Rebecca, and for my brother Daniel, and, as it must be, for Edwin Peterson
The baloney weighed the raven down, and the shopkeeper almost caught him as he whisked out the delicatessen door.
Man searches constantly for identity, he thought as trotted along the gravel path. He has no real proof of his existence except for the reaction of other people to that fact. So he listens very closely to what people say to one another about him, whether it's good or bad, because it indicates that he lives in the same world they do, and that all his fears about being invisible, impotent, lacking some mysterious dimension that other people have, are groundless. That's why people like to have nicknames. [p. 140]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451450965, Mass Market Paperback)

This classic, mesmerizing tale from the author of The Last Unicorn is a journey between the realms of the living and the dead, and the eternal power of love.

Michael Morgan was not ready to die, but his funeral was carried out just the same. Trapped in the dark limbo between life and death as a ghost, he searches for an escape. Instead, he discovers the beautiful Laura...and a love stronger than the boundaries of the grave and the spirit world.

Praise for Peter S. Beagle:

"Wit, charm, and a sense of individuality." --New York Times Book Review

"It's a fully rounded region, this other world of Peter Beagle's imagination...an originality...that is wholly his own." --Kirkus Reviews

"Both sepulchral and oddly appealing...[Beagle's] ectoplasmic fable has a distinct, mossy charm." --Time

"Delightful." --San Francisco Chronicle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

A kindly raven brings food to and is the companion of a man who has taken refuge in an abandoned mausoleum in a New York City cemetery for nineteen years

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible