A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle

A Fine and Private Place (original 1960; edition 1992)

by Peter S. Beagle

Member:sedelia
Title:A Fine and Private Place
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Info:
Collections:To read

A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (1960)

Recently added byprivate library, sriq, Swan-in-the-Hoop, mccbookdrive, serenab4, tnoble, ChessDesalls
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg, Ernest Hemingway
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both feature a single man with a devoted attachment to a graveyard and its restless ghost.

on my list for years. recommended by Connie Willis. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I'm not a fan of Emily Dickenson, but it's a good title. Mr. Beagle has sent us an excellent look at the way the dead stay with us, even when inconvenient. I've always known that a raven in the neighbourhood means well, but doesn't communicate so well with the hasty. Had a good time with this when a friend of mine died. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Dec 23, 2013 |
Possibly the most boring book in existence ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
I read this in an omnibus of Beagle's work, and was really surprised by how much I liked it. I read the collection mostly for The Last Unicorn, and wasn't expecting much out of this story. But it was sweet, humorous, touching, a fun and lite read altogether. Not at all what I expected, but in a very good way. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
I don't exactly understand how a book can be nihilistic and heartwarming at once, but this one manages it.

It is really really good, like a children's book for adults, if that makes sense . The content is not at all for children, but it feels genreless and wise the way a children's book is. Also it is illustrated. Illustrated!

The human insight in this one is scary. "How do you know that about me?" I would demand of Beagle, only to realize that probably it was something he knew about himself. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
A first novel that is both sepulchral and oddly appealing... a wry dialogue with death that may contain no large lump of wisdom but offers a fair selection of small ones.
added by jjlong | editTime (May 23, 1960)

Peter S. Beagleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collingwood, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallardo, GervasioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The grave's a fine and private place, but none, I think, do there embrace."
Dies Erste widme ich meinen Eltern, Simon und Rebecca, und meinem Bruder Daniel und selbstverständlich auch Edwin Peterson
This first one for my parents, Simon and Rebecca, and for my brother Daniel, and, as it must be, for Edwin Peterson
The baloney weighed the raven down, and the shopkeeper almost caught him as he whisked out the delicatessen door.
Man searches constantly for identity, he thought as trotted along the gravel path. He has no real proof of his existence except for the reaction of other people to that fact. So he listens very closely to what people say to one another about him, whether it's good or bad, because it indicates that he lives in the same world they do, and that all his fears about being invisible, impotent, lacking some mysterious dimension that other people have, are groundless. That's why people like to have nicknames. [p. 140]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451450965, Mass Market Paperback)

This classic, mesmerizing tale from the author of The Last Unicorn is a journey between the realms of the living and the dead, and the eternal power of love.

Michael Morgan was not ready to die, but his funeral was carried out just the same. Trapped in the dark limbo between life and death as a ghost, he searches for an escape. Instead, he discovers the beautiful Laura...and a love stronger than the boundaries of the grave and the spirit world.

Praise for Peter S. Beagle:

"Wit, charm, and a sense of individuality." --New York Times Book Review

"It's a fully rounded region, this other world of Peter Beagle's imagination...an originality...that is wholly his own." --Kirkus Reviews

"Both sepulchral and oddly appealing...[Beagle's] ectoplasmic fable has a distinct, mossy charm." --Time

"Delightful." --San Francisco Chronicle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:13 -0400)

A kindly raven brings food to and is the companion of a man who has taken refuge in an abandoned mausoleum in a New York City cemetery for nineteen years

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,378,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible