What I talk about when I talk about running…

What I talk about when I talk about running (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami (Author), Philip Gabriel (Translator)

Member:edwinbcn
Title:What I talk about when I talk about running
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Other authors:Philip Gabriel (Translator)
Info:London: Vintage Books (2009)
Collections:Read but unowned, Read All Time, Read in 2012
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Japanese Literature, Biography, Haruki Murakami, Health, Sports, CASS

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: A Memoir by Haruki Murakami (2007)

Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words by Jay Rubin (Jannes)
    Jannes: If you want to know more about Murakami as a person you can either go to his own essay-style semi-biography, or you can try Rubin's more systematic and academic approach. Both are worthy of your time.
    The Rider by Tim Krabbé (gust)
    gust: Krabbé heeft het over wielrennen. Ook autobografisch, maar literair beter uitgewerkt dan Murakami.
    Born to run: the hidden tribe, the ultra-runners and the greatest race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: One of the best books ever about running. Murakami's book and this totally inspired me to become a runner.
    Cassidys Lauf: Roman by John L. Parker (ostgut)
    Bench Press by Sven Lindqvist (prezzey)
    prezzey: Writers talk about the place of sports in their lives. I personally prefer Bench Press, but if you're interested in the topic, both are worth reading.
    Flow im Sport by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (JuliaMaria)
    Runningtherapie het standaardwerk voor lopers en professionals by B. Bakker (edwinbcn)
    De halve van Egmond by Bram Bakker (edwinbcn)

English (103)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (1)  Finnish (1)  English (127)
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is a very interesting memoir because it's so particular.

I adore Haruki Murakami's writing style and thought this was a really good read.

This work is more about Murakami's approach to running and his mental processes when he runs. I really like Murakami as an author, he's probably one of my favourite authors, so he could write anything and I'd read it. I'm a little bit biased.

I've heard a lot of people talk about the fact that they don't like this book so much because he complains a lot about his own flaws. To me, that made Murakami more vulnerable. I felt like I was talking to a friend rather than a prize-winning author.

His voice was lovely and humble and really approachable. I can understand why other people didn't like it but for me, it was short, sweet and sentimental. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
A diary/memoir of the author's devotion to running. A devotion that borders on an obsession. But what he demonstrates is an unembarrassed self awareness and a complex mastering of apparently simple language which is similar to that of Oliver Sachs. Strangely inspirational. ( )
  Steve38 | Aug 27, 2016 |
it's a memoir, so it's different in style from his memoirs. it made me feel such as peace. i loved reading about this man's life, his work ethic, his way of viewing the world, his steady ambition. i guess i fantasize about having his life; 6 months in hawaii writing, 6 months in boston teaching at harvard, running (or in my case, working out and golfing) all the while.

i've read it 3X! ( )
  Joseph_W_Naus | Jul 20, 2016 |
I liked the memoir,particularly the parts that related to his writing. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I liked the memoir,particularly the parts that related to his writing. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
[Y]ou need be neither runner nor writer to find resonance in this slender but lucid meditation.

So what does he think about while running? The disappointing answer is not much apart from the rhythms of feet on tarmac and blood pumping round the body.

It is not just these perversely impressive physical feats that sharpen what might otherwise be a dull treatise on a healthful habit; Mr. Murakami's work has always combined the ordinary and the extraordinary, and this memoir is no exception.

To characterize it as briefly as possible: easy on ear and mind alike, it’s the type of prose I would call sort of pretty poor. Running is “sort of a vague theme” (i.e., not just vague but vaguely vague), and the book is “a kind of memoir.” Murakami sort of likes this kind of thing, not just as an indistinct modifier but as a form of category-definition. He’s the “type of person,” “kind of person” — I lost track of the number of times this came up — who likes “sort of laid-back” music and is “sort of a brazen person” who sometimes has “a sort of arrogant attitude.”
added by dcozy | editNew York Times, Geoff Dyer (Aug 10, 2008)

When I closed the book, I found myself fantasising not about athletic feats, but that more readily available satisfaction that Murakami evokes so tellingly: the stinging joy of a very, very cold beer.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zum Schluss möchte ich dieses Buch allen Läufern widmen, denen ich auf meinem Wege begegnet bin, die ich überholt habe und die mich überholt haben. Wenn ihr nicht gewesen wärt, wäre ich vielleicht nie weitergelaufen.
(Nachwort, August 2007)
I'm on Kauai, in Hawaii, today, Friday, August 5, 2005. It's unbelievably clear and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

An intimate look at writing, running, and the incredible way they intersect, from the incomparable, bestselling author Haruki Murakami.While simply training for New York City Marathon would be enough for most people, Haruki Murakami's decided to write about it as well. The result is a beautiful memoir about his intertwined obsessions with running and writing, full of vivid memories and insights, including the eureka moment when he decided to become a writer. By turns funny and sobering, playful and philosophical, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is rich and revelatory, both for fans of this masterful yet guardedly private writer and for the exploding population of athletes who find similar satisfaction in athletic pursuit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

In 1982, having sold his jazz bar to devote himself to writing, Murakami began running to keep fit. A year later, he'd completed a solo course from Athens to Marathon, and now, after dozens of such races, not to mention triathlons and a slew of critically acclaimed books, he reflects upon the influence the sport has had on his life and on his writing. Equal parts travelogue, training log, and reminiscence, this revealing memoir covers his four-month preparation for the 2005 New York City Marathon and settings ranging from Tokyo's Jingu Gaien gardens, where he once shared the course with an Olympian, to the Charles River in Boston among young women who outpace him. Through this marvellous lens of sport emerges a cornucopia of memories and insights: the eureka moment when he decided to become a writer, his greatest triumphs and disappointments, his passion for vintage LPs, and the experience, after fifty, of seeing his race times improve and then fall back. By turns funny and sobering, playful and philosophical, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is rich and revealing, both for fans of this masterful yet private writer and for the exploding population of athletes who find similar satisfaction in distance running. Biographies & Autobiographies. Track & field sports, athletics.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,729,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible